Bad Guy in Drakkengard

Commander Julie Nieves glared at Vekaiyu from across the sea on the Drakkengard-controlled island. It wasn’t that she hated Drakkengard, but she did hate Vekaiyu, mainly because Vekaiyu was populated with flea-riddened vulpine mongrels. She was now in leading a large group of mercenaries, which also had in their possession a good many Armored Core units.

“Are the missiles ready?”

“Yes, Commander,” the mercenary said.

“Good. We will launch them at the Vekaiyuns, which will cause them problems with Drakkengard. Of course, when they start attacking each other, we will attack them, making them both to think that Vulshain was behind the attacks. This should be good.”

“Just give us the word, Commander.”

“Launch the missiles.” The missiles fired at the mainland hit several targets, which consisted of the outskirts of a few small towns, a couple of patroling military units, and roads.

She smiled. By the time anyone came to investigate, Julie and the mercs were already long gone.

They had covered their tracks extremely well, making it impossible for anyone to locate them.

[OOC: preceded by the post in Travels to Vodrak]
-We heard… of course not officially, that there has been a missile launch in the area of Drakkengard…- Butler said
-Do you mean to say?- Adam van Haven, the Emperor of Vodrak asked, he rose quickly from his desk and began to pace around again.
-No my lord, I do not believe we were involved, although judging by the damage I sure wish we had thought of that…- Butler said with a wicked smile
-Butler!- van Haven smashed his hand onto his desk -Stay focused.- he glared at Butler how in turn looked down -We cannot lead a war on two fronts. If you want, send our Diplomats to investigate. I do not want any contact. They go with no name, not even personal belongings or anything that can be traced to us.-
-Then what do you suggest we equip them with?-
-Serenitechian gear. They most likely cast blamed on us once, time to return the favor- Adam van Haven said with a heinous grin. -But remember. Even we are not mad enough to begin a war with Drakkengard. And we do not want to draw the attention of the world to our own doings.-
-In this case… the situation will work to our advantage. The world will not care for some Borsuk if Drakkengard and Vekayui begin to wage war. We will take what is rightfully ours and the rest of the East Pacific will be blind to our actions!-
-I like the way you think Butler…- Adam van Haven said though his face turned solemn -I really do…-

Too preoccupied with the attacks from Listonia, the attack on several fishing towns that bordered the gulf had taken the Premier of Vekaiyu completely off guard. Reports of firefighters fending off fires and rescue personnel recovering dead and wounded from the sites of the destruction poured in. While the event made a decent cover to the massive ground assault on Listonia, the fact that one of the missiles demolished a hospital and another a cemetery was most concerning, if not confusing.

She could simply order a strike on the island. Why would the endanger their hold on the Gulf, though? The VASKOY sea trade union (as the Vekaiyuns called it) could block the two main entrant points of the gulf and starve the island into submission if she could convince every nation in it to comply.

Rather than call the leader of Drakkengard and risk a misunderstanding over the phone, she decided to instead contact their leader directly by issuing a statement to him:

— Begin quote from ____

ATTN

I demand an immediate explanation for the unprovoked attacks on innocent Vekaiyun citizens. Such acts of brutality will not go unnoticed. Any further attacks on Vekaiyun civilians will be dealt with accordingly.

Premier Levinile

— End quote

The mercenaries knew that the Drakkengard would probably be demanding an explanation from Vekaiyu. Of course, they were just guessing, and if they were wrong, they would be dead very soon. “So, should we attack them?”

“The Commander ordered to make small hit and runs. So, we hit them a few times, and then get the hell out of dodge. Okay, let’s move!”

The Armored Cores, which were Drakkengard made, were heavily armed as they skitted the ocean waters. They skitted across the waters as they headed towards a small town. “ETA: 20 minutes. Get your weapons ready boys and girls, and expect some counter fire real soon.”

Guardian Task Force - Base Alpha (center of the island)

“Sir, we detected a sizeable number of AC class missiles being fired from our teritorry.” reported the comms officer on duty

“Any live fire training i should be aware of?” countered the base commander with a laid-back tone, still nursing a can of true drakkengardi beer

“No sir… Won´t you even ask where those missiles were headed to?”

“Surprise me, lieutenant.” Said Colonel Max Riever, still smiling, but not so sure its all ok…

“Vekaiyu coast. Several hits. Both civilian and military targets!”

“F@#$! Someone here is trying to start world war furr!” screamed the colonel, who grabbed the main comm system and screamed:

“Whoever fired those missiles, power down your ACs and in my office now!”

“Sir, those ACs aren´t here anymore. They fled using the jungle as cover!”

“Well, i want the security chief and the quartermaster on my office then. Base on yellow alert. Send a patrol track those ACs and a priority message to high command over what happened.”

Commander Nieves laughed a bit when she heard that the Drakkengard commander thought his own troops had fired at Vekaiyu. “Hm…Maybe it is time we play with Drakkengard then. Have some low-level grunts led a suicide attack on the base,” she ordered.

Dressed in stolen Vekaiyuns, most of which were from the days of the Maxist regime, the expendable mercs attacked the outside of the base, throwing grenades and firing shots at the guards.

The mercs knew they might die but they were ordered to do a little bit of damage before fleeing back into the jungle.

“For Vekaiyu! For Ikrisia Levinile! For Vekaiyu!” The mercs shouted. They took a few wounded, and decided to leave now. They left quickly, fleeing into the cover of the jungle. They covered their tracks excellently.

Somewhere in Dannistaan…

“Ma’am?” a soldier peered round the corner to http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/The_East_Pacific/index.php?showtopic=7446&view=findpost&p=5547983 office.
Kokoro looked up from her desk.
“Yes?”
“Special dispatch for you from Commander ‘B’. Top priority. They want SID to look into it.”
Kokoro nodded, took the file the soldier was holding and skimmed through them.
“It’s a border conflict. This sort of thing isn’t normally worth SID’s time. Isn’t it normally best left to the rest of the army or if they want us to look into it, wouldn’t it be better suited to TACOPS?”
“Apparently the Commander is suspicious of the situation, and given it involves our friends in Drakkengard, he says we might want to keep a close eye on things.”

Kokoro sighed.
“Tell him I’ll get in touch with the guys at GOS. I’ll also call a few friends in Drakkengard and see what is going on.”
“Yes ma’am.”

The soldier exited the office. Kokoro grabbed her telephone and dialled several numbers.
“Katachi? It’s Kokoro. Get a Level C Operative to look into the situation on the Vekaiyu-Drakkengard border please. And get me one of the Drakken Intel boys. We need to have a word with them ASAP…”

-Approaching drop point one.- A voice said over the intercom of the airplane. The two diplomats exchanged a meaningful glance and both put on their night vision goggles. They were both dressed in long cloaks with a jungle camo patterns, and they had Serenitech-issued sniper rifles [although the rifles weren’t nearly the newest model available, they were in serviceable condition and that’s what counted in the Vodrak Corpus Diplomatica].
-We are over drop point one. Opening hatch.-
The two diplomats ran toward the opened hatch and grabbed a parachute. They jumped out, all the while putting on their parachutes.
The older and more experienced one opened his parachute at the exact right time, whilst the younger of the two opened it a bit too late and landed heavily on the ground.
-Are you ok?- The older diplomat approached the younger one.
-Yeah… just some minor bruises- the younger replied and began to brush dust off his cloak -Where are we?-
-Near the point where Vekaiyun forces attacked a Drakkengard base. Come on, they might spot us- The older one said and he quickly ran into the thick jungle behind their landing zone. The younger one followed, though he had trouble keeping up.

The Mercs watched the two strangers enter the jungle.

The two could be useful…

The mercs informed Commander Nieves of the strangers. “Bring them to me, alive.”

The mercs obeyed and quickly went out to surround the strangers.

“Okay you two! Hold it!” The mercs had already surrounded the strangers. An AC towered over them, pointing a very large gatling gun at the two strangers. “Drop all weapons and equipment you have now or else I pull the trigger.”

OOC: Szugi, AC stands for Armored Core, and they are large mecha robots.

The two diplomats quickly exchanged glances
-Drop our weapons? Are you blinking mad?- the younger one said
-I think what my college wants to say is that we do not have any.- the older one corrected
-We are just diplomats, I am sure there is no need for all this.- The younger one smiled.

Guardian Task Force - Base Alpha (center of the island)

Main office

“OK, no need to rush here, no big trouble at all, after all what would be one more war to us right…” speaks calmly Colonel Riever to his senior NCO, one responsible for base security, the other for base general stores

When both man start to relax, Riever screams:

“What the h@#$ you guys think you´re doing! Shooting gallery with the furballs?! Forgot we´re the rubbish of this damned army? Because if you think we´re getting reinforcement to save us from our own stupidity…”

Noise from gunfire and explosion on the outside

“See, not my fault” smiles the quartermaster
“If i was in my post, this wouldn´t be happ…” add the chief security when he´s interrupted with another MAX™ scream:

"Silence! Or we´ll import toilets from Dveria just to ensure i´ll have enough latrine duty for both of you.

Max run to the comset and say:

“Red alert. Mobilize all ACs. This is not a drill! Counter fire! Fire at will!”

After the enemies flee in the jungle he comment with his NCOs (who were already on the booze…)

“Those furballs are good… But that was i little too fast to be retaliation already… There is foul play in here. You!”

Both men stop drinking and salute

“Get an flamer equipped AC and start getting rid of that jungle. Ambientalists be damned but there won´t be anymore enemies hiding on my watch. And i want an AC equiped search party, twice the numbers of our aggressors. Fire with prejudice, but try to bring something alive for questioning.”

After they leave he returns to comset and: “Send an update to high command. And start readying the nuclear ordinance… Just in case.”

“…No sir…I’ve not got any reply from the intel agencies in Drakkengard yet…they said they would get back to me…yes sir, I’ll call them again in a few minutes…yes…yes…I need to double check that sir…Apparently GOS say they don’t have an available Level C Operative available at this moment…Apparently, all we have is rumours that some unit started firing missiles without permission…I have no idea sir…yes I am looking into it…We will have to see…I don’t understand why GOS don’t have any available operatives either sir…yes sir…I understand sir…yes, I’ll speak to you later…thank you…”

Kokoro hung up the phone handset, sighed and grabbed the handset again and tried dialing the secure hotline number for Drakkengard intelligence.
“C’mon! Pick up!” she gritted her teeth as the phone rang.

Drakkengard Military Intelligence Office (MIO)

Imperia

“Operative Anne speaking. I´d like to apologize our Dannistrian friends for the waiting but we´re somewhat overwhelmed with an imminent war with Vekaiyu. How can i be of service?”

“…”

“By the silence i take this either would be the subject of our conversation or its a surprise for you. Well, given on how the attack at Vekaiyu coast is on INN i´ll make an educated guess and share what i know…
Thus far we got word from our island base that unindentified ACs fired at Vekaiyu coast from our territory, then shown themselves in Vekayiu colors at made a hit and run attack at our base. They are currently being hunt by local forces.
Our preliminary analysis is that Vekaiyu wants us out of the island so it can proceed with their plans of annexation of Listonia and Elephana, so they set up this incident to start a war as the wronged party and hope to survive our assault long enough to make it so unprofitable and/or internationally condenable that we´ll be willing to go.”

ATTN

You don´t dare demanding nothing from us. As far as we know you set up this incident yourself. And we have video footage of the attack in our base to prove. This attack happened way to soon to be a retaliation, unless they were there from the beginning, right? Innocent citizens, huh? Like it was an accident with the people of Dveria.
Killing your our people for political gains… Callous, and i have mercenary blood in my veins.
This is my first and last warning. Any further attack withing Drakkengard territory will be received as a declaration of war.

President Von Drakken

Kokoro was somewhat surprised that someone had bothered answering the other end of the line. She allowed herself to listen before responding.
“Operative Anne, yes that is a surprise. Oh yes, in case you are wondering, this is Operative Kokoro, SID at DISOC aka Section 9. Apparently the commander is concerned enough at the situation to want me to contact you ASAP and try to ascertain what is going on. Apparently he isn’t entirely convinced that the situation is all it seems. I personally am not sure what he is insinuating, but apparently he would like to gather more information on the situation between yourselves and Vekaiyu before making any further moves.”

Kokoro paused.
“From my superior’s instructions, he is wanting to send over a field operative to Drakkengard to help you investigate what is going on with the sudden aggression from Vekaiyu. Assuming that is you wish us to do so. He would like to avoid an escalation of hostilities in the area for reasons he has so far kept classified from us operatives lower down the chain.”

Raven Blaze grunted as he tried to drag his injuried body through the jungle underbrush. He was able to use a stolen radio to contact the Drakkengard base. “This is Raven Blaze. Listen, I was ambushed by some mercs and rogue ravens, led by a terrorist. She plans on starting a war between Drakkengard and Vekaiyu, and frame Vulshain. I don’t have much time. I repeat, Rogue Ravens are involved. They made contracts without going through Nest. I’m making my way to my AC Spitfire. I’ll try and help out.”

He switched off the radio and smiled as he found his AC still hidden. He was able to get in and turned it on. The middleweight AC came to life as it rose. Blaze was going to make some terrorists pay…BIG TIME!

The AC Pilot began to power up his weapon. “I’m not stupid. Frisk them.”

One of the mercs began to search for any weapons on them.

OOC: Szugi, I’m guessing they do have weapons. So, I hope that is okay.

The merc then said, “Oh and don’t try anything, because at this range, we’re all dead, but hey, I’ve lived a fulfilling life, so if I get killed by friendly fire, so what?” He began to found and disarm the diplomats.

“Yeah, told you we weren’t stupid.”

OOC: OH Drakkengard the AC that has a gun pointed at Szugi’s guys is armed and equipped just like the Sight Hawk AC from Armored Core Nexus, while the Spitfire AC is designed like Bell AC from Armored Core Nexus. Julie’s AC is designed like the Serpent Mobile Suit from Gundam Wing Endless Waltz, armed with Heavy Arms’ dual gatling guns. The other Enemy ACs have similar designs like Armored Core Nexus’ Clown Face, Banshee, Ruin, Brain Wash, Ferrum Slave, and Inferno! Hehehe!

Despite trying to coordinate another war, Premier Levinile read through the latest reports that suggested a series of Drakkengard AC’s were entering Vekaiyun waters. She sighed. This was quickly becoming a problem - a war she didn’t want to fight, especially since she had a prime opportunity to attack Listonia and remove a huge threat to Vekaiyu in the east.

She wouldn’t hear of it. Clearly, there was a better way.

— Begin quote from ____

ATTENTION (Drakkengard president, can’t oocly remember his/her name)

Drakkengard craft is entering Vekaiyun waters illegally and poses a great threat to a nation that has maintained peace throughout this orchestrated conflict. If this attack is not rescinded, Vekaiyu will be forced to protect its own territorial waters and neutralize any threats. A war between our two nations is pointless and unnecessary, Vekaiyu is unconcerned with Drakkengard holdings in the Gulf of Itur and is very concerned with maintaining stability with gulf trade. I urge you to cancel any acts of aggression, as the entire VASKOY national trade league is watching carefully.

I urge reconsideration and reflection. Should these attacks continue, Vekaiyu will be forced to defend itself from any threat, and will neutralize any threats that come her way.

• Premier Levinile

— End quote

She immediately wired Kral Commodore Nevikalu with an urgent response.

“Alert all Vekaiyun naval craft and be prepared to shoot down AC’s. Use standard protocol and only attack that which crosses into Vekaiyun waters. Ready all rail guns and particle canons. Drastic measures may be taken if necesary. The coast must be defended. Begin ground assault on Listonia and send Lso Yiskevi to the front.”

She then sent a different message to Ler Commodore Lebivistre

"Increase range of Vekaiyun Metropolitan Defense systems in the following cities: Provinsk, Skendia, Kunnat, Calesu, Ves, and Kerilo. Begin systematic grounding of commercial vehicles to brace for temporary counterfire. Defend the Vekaiyun border at all costs.

The older diplomat sighed as the merc began taking away his weapons.
-You know… this could take a while, seeing as your search is quite clumsy…- he mocked the merc -Anyway, it is nice to see that the standards for mercenaries are dropping. To think I used to respect this trade…-
-yeah.- The younger one continued as a merc took away his Serenitech sniper rifle -I mean jungle ambush? That’s like the oldest trick in the book. Bah, they teach that to kindergartners…-
-Kinda makes me feel embarrassed we walked into that one.- The older one admitted -But do you want to know something funny? The odds that you found us in a jungle were quite slim, but now let me ask you: do you have any idea what the odds are that at this very moment you are surrounded?-Both the older and younger one laughed manically
-Actually, quite slim. We just like to see the reactions.- the younger one admitted. -Let me help you… I’d rather we get this done to-day.-
-Right.- the older one said. The two diplomats began disarming themselves. the pile of guns, ammo and grenades in front of the began to grow. The fact that they were carrying everything from an ordinary pistol to a compact missile launcher wasn’t really all that surprising, and in fact that was considered as light equipment in the ASR. After the diplomats disarmed, and the mercenaries frisked them twice the older one asked
-So, what now? I’m guessing we go back to your little secret base. But who’s going to carry our stuff?- The diplomats laughed as they looked at the big pile of weapons.

A meeting of the Council of Ministers was called. The situation was presented to them.

“-My predecessor maintained the policy,” - started President Preusz - “that Vekiayu is the enemy, and even if they are attacked, we must stand on the side that is against Vekiayu. Now they are at war on two fronts. This is the best opportunity we can get, to remove the threat they present.”

“-Drakkengard is a country,” -said Minister of Foreign Affairs Jázon Radics - “, that ,despite all the talk about their military might, has a weak stomach for war. During the first Listonian Crisis, they threatened Vekiayu with war, but then quickly withdrew after they received payment. I’m sure, that once the leader of Vekiayu convinces president von Drakken, that it is more profitable not to go to war, and attach a big check to it, then they will withdraw. Thus, we must convince them, that they must continue to fight. But we can only do that, if we offer a military alliance.”

“-But what about our military strength?”- asked Preusz.

“-The combined strength of the armies of Algaisia and Lazlowia is quiet formidable. If we combine it with Drakkengard, then I would say that the scale tips somewhat to our favor.” - answered Marshall Koós, commander in chief of the army -“And since Vekiayu is fighting against Listonia too, we can add them too.”

“-Then comrades,” -Preusz said with importance -" I will make an official offer of alliance to Drakkengard."

— Begin quote from ____

To President von Drakken of the Republic of Drakkengard

Your Exelency,
we were shocked and dismayed by the unhonorable attack Vekiayu has dealt against you country. We can assure you, that we understand you situation, and express our sincere offer to help you in these dark times. Thus I, as a representative of the People’s Republic of Lazlowia and the Democratic Republic of Algaisia, offer you our military assistance to stop the foreign invasion, and to put an end to the warmongering plans of these fox imperialist once and for all. Waiting your reply,
President Mór Preusz of the People’s Republic of Lazlowia

— End quote

OOC: Todd, his first name is Ludwig. But just Von Drakken will do :slight_smile:

And SC, it embarrasing to admit that, being an AC fan, but my PS2 broke (have a Wii though :slight_smile: ), so i can´t check on those setups nor can remember them as Nexus was the first AC game i cleared, years ago. Could you describe them a little?

Also, this base is the misfit dumpster of my military, that why things are so easy-going around there…

Base

“So, they´re Ravens, huh? That explains a lot. Check this Blaze with Nest. If she´s good, i want her blue in all the base IFF and dispatch our resident raven to aid her.”
Ordered Colonel Riever upon listening the radio transmition.

Minutes later

“This is Nest. The information sent is valid. Disciplinary actions against any rogue Raven found will be taken. Any request?”
“Yes. Put a contract for her and Bad News (ooc: The base resident Raven) to capture the terrorist alive. Standart pay.”
“Affirmative.”

He then turn to a priority connection and sent Blaze´s findings to high command.

Later he screams at the radio: “Stop the jungle torching! We have allies there now. And i want the radar back on-line! I like to hack signal from Vekaiyu pay-per-view as much as any of you, but all i got is a moss that might or might nor have being an unauthorized aircraft that passed over our insland.”

After quickly discussing the matter with her own superiors Anne continued:

“Operative Kokoro? We have updated information that indicate your supositon of non-Vekaiyun foul play might be accurate. The arrival of your field operative is authorized. Our country appreciates the friendship gesture.”

ATTENTION

We didn´t attack your country, nor have crafts within your waters.
There is no acts of aggression from my side, yet, as the VASKOY would know if they were really watching carefully.
It is i that urge you to stop the futile saber-rattling, and starting considering on how we´ll be compensated for our troubles. For the time where we´ll deem more profitable to strike rather than talk is getting close.

• President Von Drakken

To President Mór Preusz of the People’s Republic of Lazlowia

Your Excelency,

We thank your countries for the consideration, but warn that the current attack, rather than a Vekaiyu invasion, seems to have being a third party foul play, given the bombing of Vekaiyu coast at nearly the same time and classified information we obtained after these events.

Regardless, we, as the vanquishers of Nyos, surely will be able to swat Vekaiyu (or whoever else is to blame) from our sight if such a course of action is deemed necessary.

However, in the interest of binding mankind more closely against those vulpine upstarts, i announce that i agree to extend our protection to your countries, like we once offered to Dveria, a nation that lives in peace since then.

And if the desire to end Vekaiyu once for all burn in your heart, we are sure that a proper deal can be arranged to make it true.

Kind Regards,
President Von Drakken of the Armed Republic of Drakkengard

“Very well Operative Anne. I’m organising an operative and possibly a support team to head out to Drakkengard within 24 hours, pending my superior’s approval. I shall be in touch shortly once the details have been confirmed…” Kokoro said as she started typing into a computer[hr]“What? Another secretive assignment?” Kah’lad asked as he gathered up several training files, “Sorry, but I’m not interested, Colonel. http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/The_East_Pacific/index.php?showtopic=7446
Colonel Jackson nodded.
“I am aware of that Kah’lad, and I’m sorry about last time, but apparently the higher ups are concerned about goings on in this border conflict between Drakkengard and Vekaiyu…”
“Since when did Dannistaan become the region’s peacemaker?!” Kah’lad asked in a snarky manner, “We traditionally remained neutral in everyone else’s affairs! Granted, it is involving Drakkengard but they have been in conflicts before and we have said and done nothing.”
“Apparently the powers that be at the Joint-Chiefs of Staff are not entirely convinced that all is normal in this instance and suspect some other form of foul play.”
“Foul play?” Kah’lad sighed, “Well, I do apologise for my abruptness Colonel sir, but I’m not willing to put myself into yet another dangerous situation where I have to keep silent. You will have to find someone else.”

Colonel Jackson nodded.
“You are right, we are sorry that we keep dragging you into dark affairs. But honestly, you have shown a lot of talent as a problem solver. And right now, we would like you to utilise those talents again.”
Kah’lad paused for several minutes, then turned to face the colonel straight on.
“I can help as a consultant. But nothing more. I can recommend some field operative candidates to actually carry out any field ops, but that is all.”
Colonel Jackson nodded.
“OK then. You will be a consultant and nothing more.”
“And I need to get in touch with an old friend first. I would like to hand pick my staff.”
“Name names and I’ll see what I can do.”
“Thank you Colonel.”

Kah’lad took out his cellphone and started dialling Friedrick von Richthofen’s number.
OOC: Drak, I have no idea is this character is still around. Please correct me if he is MIA or retired or whatever.