Conclave FAQ

CONCLAVE FAQ 1.1

What’s Conclave?

It is the sole judicial body (court) in the government of The East Pacific, required by the Concordat and led by the Viceroy.

Someone’s breaking the rules! Do I tell you?

Maybe. If this a NationStates game rule, that is generally the purview of game moderators and you let them know here. If you decide to go there, then make sure you understand the game rules well enough to state your case. DO be very nice to mods: they’re volunteers. DON’T suggest remedies or punishments - that’s their job. They can be fussy sometimes.

If you believe the naughty nation should be brought up on charges here, then make sure you understand our Concordat and laws well enough to state your case. DO consider sending a Personal Message to Viceroy (the equivalent of chief justice of the court) first and outline your concern. That way, I can advise you how best to post it in Conclave. If an APPLICATION is available, do use it. If you just throw down a post without giving me the heads up or without using an application, it might just sit there or get deleted if I deem it inappropriate.

In either case DO consider if the rule breaking is important. Please understand that Conclave proceedings are by law a public event. Not everyone gets to participate, but everyone can see it happening. There are no secret trials in Conclave.

What do ya mean by proceedings?

We have two fundamental roles in Conclave: we enforce the laws of the region and we interpret the Concordat. In the first instance, we consider charges against nations who violate the region’s laws. In the second case, we consider whether or not a law enacted by the Magisterium, our legislature, is consistent with the Concordat. We are also empowered do a couple of other things, like a civil trial between citizens.

Please read our Standing Orders to find out how we roll with regard to procedure.

I just got charged. What do I do?

Citizens have the right to representation before Conclave. This huge marble courtroom full of scary old opinionated nations with Mod and Admin powers can be intimidating. If you have a trusted friend you want to advise you and/or speak on your behalf, bring them along. Just tell Viceroy they are your representative. Please bring someone of substance, not someone whom you believe may have clout. Facts and being reasonable has clout here.

Can I sue another nation?

The matter of citizens suing other citizens has yet to come to our attention, and will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis as required by the law.

Can I chat up my favorite Arbiter hoping to influence a case?

That would be a bad idea. We were all selected because we are considered to be players of integrity who will be fair and impartial.

Can I just open up a new topic in Conclave to ask a question?

If you are in the designated place, ask away! I think anyone with a question not answered here or by reading the threads in the links provided here will probably make this FAQ better. Please me mindful that:

• I reserve the right to edit and copy the questions and answers, delete your topic, and add the contents to this FAQ. It’s a neat and tidy thing.
  • Some Q&As are best asked and answered by PM to respect the dignity of the players involved. For instance, if you ask a question the answer to which can be found by reading this post, I may delete your topic and PM you the answer.
    [li]If you are from another branch of government and this is a question about government, your branch has an official representative: that’s the nation who should probably ask. That kind of request might require a legal opinion and as Viceroy, I might want the Arbiters to debate it and vote on it officially rather than have Conclave host a general comments thread.
    [/li]

Anything else I should know?

Don’t give in to the temptation to drop a post into an ARBITERS ONLY or ARBITERS & INTERESTED PARTIES ONLY post in Conclave. It’s disrespectful and as Viceroy I will delete them. If I’m really cranky that day, I have the option of reporting the nation to forum Admin. You may have the cure for cancer. God bless you for it, just post it somewhere else.

As much as our rules may appear to be severe at times, that’s to protect the rights of the accused and the best interests of the region. I think Arbiters are a funny and interesting crowd. It’s OK to approach any one of us with a question.