Emjay for Delegate

Hello, my fellow East Pacificans! It is I, Emjay, and I will be running for Delegate! As my tagline indicates, I plan to redevelop the executive branch of The East Pacific! From its current entropy to a leaner and more effective executive with outreach, regional affairs, world assembly membership, and working more closely with the roleplay subcommunities. I will be the candidate that will put the region first but I will not turn a blind eye to what’s happening around us in terms of foreign affairs.

Regional Affairs

First, I will move Regional Affairs to the main Discord server, for greater accessibility to new players. Let’s say they have joined the main server, Urth server, RMB server and then you throw another server at them. Doesn’t sounds player friendly when they are just joining.

Now at this point, there could be a concern about too many channels in the main server but I forgot to mention it will be in a forum channel. For additional space, we have a real forum that is quite functional and ready for use.

Culture

The fun-driven ministry. Let’s have more fun but in a pop-up manner. Yes, I want the Ministry to continue to plan events but I also want to empower the Minister of Culture and staffers to hold random games that are browser-based or use Discord Activities at whatever time they wish to do something. I’m leaning towards adding cards and issue writing into the mix as well but I just thought of it and ran to add this sentence in so I only have the base idea of that for the moment.

News

I’m not going to say EPNS is inconsistent but it’s not consistently used to its full potential. I don’t think EPNS needs Standard, Lite, or Foreign Updates as separate editions. I will streamline this into one edition that runs monthly with any updates that happened in between editions from each ministry, subcommunity, UTEP, RP (forum+RMB), FA, UTEP, etc.

Outreach

This minister will be tasked with the most important job. This job is more important than the Delegate position itself. Welcoming, Executive Recruitment, REWARD, and working with the Roleplay Representatives on recruitment cooperation. My idea for recruitment cooperation is… Gameplay RP, Urth RP, and RMB RP will work together to equally promote each other to one another.

University of The East Pacific

I will also be moving UTEP to the main Discord with the rest of RA. This is more ease of access decision in the same idea that regional affairs need to be easy for people to find. At the moment I don’t have any grand ideas for UTEP but I’m going to delegate the Weekly Questions to UTEP.

Foreign Affairs

If you were expecting a wrecking ball from me to FA…

Hmmm...

betty white GIF

…not immediately but it doesn’t hurt to review the structure and make it more streamlined. Especially if the server it is housed in will have no RA or UTEP. That will only leave FA and Leadership and that gives an opportunity to make it simpler.

Outside of that, I think we should find ways to strengthen and/or reevaluate our relations with our allied, embassy, and consulate-level regions. We should also seek out regions that would be a good fit to establish relations with.

World Assembly Affairs

This one is a hard one to plan for. I could say we need more TEP GA authors, commends, and condemns or even having a WA group of authors. But I can’t say that and it actually happens. It depends on who is willing to have that happen and who can actually write a WA proposal. But I would like to see more TEP-based authors for proposals.

Eastern Pacific Sovereign Army

This is one area I will rely on the Overseeing Officer as I don’t have any R/D experience but I don’t plan to make any major changes. EPSA will continue to be unaligned.

Questions and Answers

See post below.

Questions Answers
Aurora Reply
Atlae Reply
Zukchiva Reply
God-Emperor Reply
Libertanny Reply
Marrabuk 1, 2 Reply 1, 2

Your campaign is a welcome surprise. I must admit you tempt my vote already, considering your previous repulsion from this office. Something must be strongly compelling you to the office larger than such repelling force and, having consulted you, as well as many of my fellow former and current delegates, you’ve a strong set of experiences to make your plan happen.

Speaking of your plan - the high level aspect makes sense, but I have some guiding questions for some more detail.

• What is your strategy for the Executive working with the various RP communities? I don’t mean for a “gotcha”, but I’m aware the other branches of TEP’s IC and OOC systems haven’t always meshed 100% with RP. Could you share some lessons learned over the ages that’ll make your approach successful?

• What’s your take on the FA Council and the Executive Ministers? This is, in areas where you’re less involved or rely on others expertise, what’s your take on who runs these operations now and what improvements do you seek to leadership and operations under the Delete?

• Are you prepared to spark activity where you feel it is most important, and what tactics and approaches will you use here? I believe what made previous successes under recent delegates possible was a hands-on Delegate on the front lines of what mattered, or a commander Delegate with the charisma to scout and inspire others on tasks. I trust you’ve seen more and perhaps even stronger users of these ethics and charms than I have - how will you channel that force?

I look forward to your answers. In the meantime I’m kinda just excited the Delete might be happening xD

1 Like

How do you plan to manage balancing the roles of Delegate and Chief Admin?

Would a forum channel work for the entire executive? I’m in a lot of discord servers (spent way too much time online) and forum channels are definitely hard to get right, and usually work well for something niche.

What is your favorite Discord Activity? Have you tried them out and do you believe that people will be interested?

I guess in the same vein, I’ll ask: have we reapplied for Discord Partner yet? This isn’t really a delegate campaign focused question, but was a thing I know we worked on while I was still a community staff member and I was wondering if we made any headway on that.

(Also remind me to get in touch with you this weekend about REWARD)

Edit: oh I forgot I rejoined community ops. Sorry, I’ve been super frazzled with school and I forgot

1 Like

I’m known to come out of left field from time to time. In my years in NS I’ve ran ministries, FA, a region and even was a UCR Delegate at one time. I’ve turned down many nominations, not because I couldn’t do it, but because I decided to stay behind the scenes and make countless contributions to the region in other ways. This is the first time I’ve decided to seriously come onto the stage.

I think the best strategy is simply communicating with each other. I would like to see what can be done to facilitate this and how we can work together for our collective common goal.

As a long-term member of the community it pains me greatly when we don’t mesh together. It isn’t the government’s or roleplayer’s community. It’s collectively The East Pacific community. We either work together or we die on the hill together. Without the regional government we wouldn’t have a roleplay community. Without the the roleplay community we would have the identity we have today.

As a person who was officially part of cabinet and FA Council at several points during the last few years… Sometimes it feels like most of the activity happens in FA but truthfully there needs to be of balance. Cabinet runs the region. FA runs like the outside daycare. I like to be hands on but I’m not a micromanager. Day-to-day regular minister operations need to be handled by the minister as they are done today but with Delegate oversight. Activity will be a requirement.

I like to be hands on. It’s a curse sometimes. But I’m really going to be hands on with the region. From pings on Discord to regionwides and telegrams. I want to make an executive that’s front and center to new and old people alike.

With coffee, ofc. But seriously I did consider this and I will likely be delegating some stuff out to people if I’m elected. I also will temporarily drop the community mod/staffer role to get less pings and be visible as Delegate.

The entire executive? No. Not at this time. I feel RA and UTEP are the best suited for forum channels. Since we have enough boots I plan to use a few private threads as well. But should the opportunity present itself it could work for FA as well.

But I think the biggest selling point is being able to have what all of the RA is doing in one place. It’ll allow a staffer from any other ministry to also have the opportunity to join a project if they want. I don’t plan on having a forum channel with a bunch of dead posts floating around.

I haven’t had the opportunity to honestly do too much as it launched during my busy season. I did try Watch Together and determined it was garbage but some of them sound interesting. Worth a shot to try them out now and if we don’t like them that’s okay. We have plenty of other browser games we can play!

We have not. I’ve talked about it with McStooley and personally felt there wasn’t much enthusiasm the first time. Would I like is to try again? Yes. Our community does have a uniqueness but our weird identity makes it hard to answer Discord’s questions in 255 characters. I did make it where when anyone joins they can see select channels with the passport role as closed entries with give and automatic “no.” We need to be a gaming community and not a full blown NS community at the end of the day. If you can see the problem we run into but I think we could do it.

Let’s include Cyber. He might be able to help with REWARD. I’m not good with hand made bots and APIs. Wish I was but I know my limitations.

1 Like

Could you elaborate on this? What events are you envisioning?

Where do you plan to get writers or at least articles?

How do you plan on streamlining FA’s current structure?

So, do you have any ideas on how to encourage said authorship?

Additional questions: In recent times it’s become a repeatedly brought up issue that our current Delegate has not properly endotarted, resulting in an extensively low # of endorsements on the Delegacy. You, as a Vizier, are currently tasked with gaining as many endorsements as possible - yet you haven’t endorsed approximately 40% of the region (or whatever 500/900 is).

Do you think having as many endorsements as possible for the Delegacy is important, or merely something nice but not needed? If you believe it is important, how can we trust you’ll endotart daily to gain endorsements when you clearly have not been? If you don’t believe it is important, what do you say to the voters who clearly think it is?

1 Like

We could have a issue writing contest and give away cards for example if you submit an issue and it gets accepted. Maybe even doing a group issue under a TEP nation as well.

On the executive level it would come who is in charge of that ministry. The Provost. The Viceroy. UTEP. From the roleplayers we would be seeking them out to get an excerpt from them to promote their roleplay. We could showcase TEPwiki articles as well. We don’t exactly need a team of writers when we are surrounded you them.

That’s why I said not immediately. I currently can’t make the determination with a lot of certainty without reviewing it in detail. But I would look into a more streamlined FA Discord channel structure. Less is more.

It needs to be promoted as part of REWARD. Endorsements are lovely but we need to also see who is interested in authorship. We have some authors right now that could be interested in mentoring.

It’s been a trend with many of the last delegates. For me, I’ve been on the fence on retiring for the last year form the role of Vizier. Then with the forum move on top of the last few months of the year… there has been no time to commit fully. But that is different in the beginning half the year for me. So now I will have the time but I don’t plan to make any sudden movements in endorsements as a candidate.

Endorsements are important and to have as many as possible. I’m aware of the pending F/S game mechanic change as well so it’s now more important than ever to improve our lackluster WA culture.

By delegate to UTEP, do you mean the chancellor, and by meaning the chancellor, does that mean you intend to keep the chancellor (and by extension CMoRA) , even as you move their servers to the main Discord server?

1 Like

Yes, the Chancellor.

I see no reason not to have both, plus per the Executive Act, I would be legally required to have a Minister of Regional Affairs and Chancellor. I think it will be more positive to have them working out of the main server.

Hello.

I’ve seen a lot of blame being pointed at Shadow - for current state of things. Kindly note, that I am not saying you stand behind this - it’s just that seeing it provoked this message to appear. This itches me a lot, as it’s not The East Pacific I fought for pre- and during the coup. We were a team, we had one another’s backs - what happened to it?

1. It’s easy to run for a Delegate, promise a new tomorrow and blame previous Delegate for the current state of things. But TEP differs - we are a community run by people for people. Let me ask this: For the last four months, what did you do to make TEP a better place?

2. In a world where fuckups happen, how would you make sure, that The East Pacific remains a team, where we don’t just find a black sheep to put a blame on and move on?

3. Say you are not elected the Delegate, but instead one of your candidates is.
    3A. What’s your plan for the next 4 months?
    3B. How will you help TEP fight the apathy and inactivity?
    3C. How will you help TEP become a team again?
    3D. How will you help fix WA issues?

4. Say your Minister is underperforming. You know they can work real hard and have a resume of several impressive achievements. Yet their current life situation highly limited their ability to perform well. What do you do?

5. Say your Minister is in a really bad mental state - high stress amount, lowered confidence, burnout. What do you do?

6. You share ideas in this thread. Did you share them with the Delegate through last 4 months? If not, why?

7. Lastly. Our current Delegate has a low amount of endorsements, compared to previous Delegates. I saw claims saying, that I spent days and nights endotarting and stuff. It’s false. I did do efforts (endotarting, REWARD, DMing people), but I also had a team of people working alongside me to increase our endocount (they were running REWARD, sending Telegrams, DMing people, running endo-campaigns, creating dispatches, welcoming newcomers and asking them to join WA). So the question is: how did you help the current Delegate increase their endorsement count?

1 Like

Hello!

Nothing I have said in my campaign thread or answers have anything to do about Shadow. I have purposely avoided anything that could make that implication to the best of my ability. This is a campaign so it may have the appearance of that, but it’s not. I will not attack the sitting Delegate on their job performance. I am not the one that handles that.

It is easy. Democracy is nice. As I have not and will not blame Shadow, I will be avoiding that part of your statement and for the last four months, I have worked tirelessly to help facilitate a forum move.

Again, I have not and will not be playing the blame game, so let’s move on to the next question?

3A) I would be doing this with or without this campaign but I plan to launch a new bot for Urth RP server, a bot for EPSA, and make Loopbot only in the main. Might pull out an Executive Bot as well. They would be focused on custom commands. Forum theme. Refresh some TEP services. But if elected I would need to delegate some stuff. But if I am not elected then my ideas also are ripe for the taking and my DMs/Pings/PMs/Etc are always open for questions. You know I stay busy and I love this community unconditionally.

3B) This has already started on the admin-site. Improved welcoming experience, which was already in the plans, but now with a new Discord feature it will make it easier.

3C) We’re a community but we’re not always a team. It happens. It just depends on who is Delegate and how I could help support them.

3D) Supporting Atlae in getting REWARD back up and running. It’s already on the agenda.

They would need to step down to staffer and that would be my recommendation to them. It’s unfair to hold a ministry back or even a potential minister-qualified staffer for a good resume. At the end of the day, they need to put their personal life first.

Would need to determine if it is an IC or OOC-caused problem. If it’s IC then it would be my responsibility to fix the problem, place them on LOA, and give them a break. If it’s OOC then I would recommend they step down or leave the executive. Their health is the priority.

No, I did not, nor could I have. My attention has been elsewhere for the last several months – the forum move. Everything you see in my OP was done on the fly. I made the personal decision to run for delegate when I registered to vote but I still was on the fence. When I saw the notification, I contemplated some more, before I decided to add my name to the mix.

The campaign itself was not put together until after I made the post header image and determined what my tagline would be then I put together what I would like to accomplish if I was elected with 2 rules in mind. I would not mention/make references to Shadow nor would I look at the executive server for ideas. What you see above is all me, no Shadow, and 100% for TEP.

I didn’t due to other obligations mentioned above.

After years(decades) of declining to run for office.

What made you change your mind and how different of a delegate will you be from past delegates?

If you had to choose one delegate, which past delegate’s term will your term(if elected) be more similar to(if any)?

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

You know, that’s not an easy question to answer, but after the forum move… taking a rest… contemplating my role as a Vizier… I threw my hands on the keyboard and said to myself. Let’s do a serious Delegate campaign for once. You have the qualifications and even the experience (on a much smaller scale). So I stepped onto the stage. As I have known all the Delegates since Loop and I can’t say I could be like any of them unless the assimilation counts as I know I gave many ideas away over the years nor could they be me.

At the end of the day, I can only strive to be myself, and I’m not sure I could be similar to anyone.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply and dignified answers!

Last question, will you take a more hands on micromanaging approach or more of creating a good team and delegating tasks to your team?

1 Like

I’m hands on but I would not be a micromanager either. The delegate needs to be involved but on the flip side, they also need to rely on their ministers to support them. It’s all about being a team and that’s what teams do.

1 Like

Thank you Em for answering my questions!
I have no further questions! Thank you for running as a delegate. Amongst the current candidates, you have the most experience and I’m sure you’ll be able to do the job if elected! I wish you luck!