The Continental Divide

Mister Leader II of the USM called into his room one of the rare cartographers that inhabit Mexregiona. He wanted the best of the best that the nation had to offer, but he didn’t really get that. Instead, he acquired an 89-year old man with little image editing skill and an ironically poor sense of direction. In fact, the work you see below is probably his best work, and that’s is due to the big, fluffy rabbit’s foot that inhabits the sock of the geezer. He shambled into the office, oblivious of the general frailness of his body, and half-sat half-fell into the Leader’s newly waxed recliner that accompanied the desk bolted to the floor.
((OOC: I’m not implying or declining that I’m an 89-year man, by the way.))

“Uh, how do you do, Mr. Fletch?” the man questioned.

It took roughly ten moments for the geezer to reply; when he did, however, it was spectacular.

“OH, IT’S GOIN’ QUITE AUHLL RIGHT, MISS’ER LEADER,” Fletch said, producing from the interior of his mouth eight spitballs each separately big enough to penetrate a naval blockade, dousing Mister Leader II all about his face. Let’s just say the security guards were irritated that they didn’t snatch a photo of the scene.

The president proceeded to rotate the old man away from his desk, where instead he could water the leader’s plants instead of wasting all of the saliva on a shower.

And, now that the Leader was out of the Splash Zone, he was ready to listen to the business of the matter.
“Did you tell Beartrot to send that e-mail, Fletch?”

“I SIR DID, MISS’ER LEADER. I MEAN, HE’S REAL BUSY RIGH’ NOW, BUT HE GOT YOU MESSIGE.”

“Good, good. Did he tell you where he was going to send the reply? I need to know, as it’s really important.”

“WELL, I THIN’ BERRTROT SAID HE’D SEND IT BY FIX, WHATEVAH THAT MEAN.”

He must mean ‘fax.’ How original of Beartrot. Apparently the USM Serviceman has some archaic blood in him. “Okay, Fletch, that’s all I need from you right now. Thanks for stopping by.”
Fletch stumbled out the doorway, now oblivious to the president’s thanks and reality in general.

“Let’s see what we got here,” Mister Leader said to himself.
He pulled out his modern fax, which had actually gained some popularity in Governmental Gully; they were easy to use and generally hard to hack into nowadays.
He pushed a couple of buttons, scrolled through a touchscreen interface, inserted a fingerprint, and intercepted a message.

— Begin quote from ____

TO: MISTER LEADER II, LEADER OF THE USM
SUBJECT: ANN. CAS.
For Climatic Reference:[spoiler]http://imgur.com/a/qUySe[/spoiler]Proposed Annexation:[spoiler]http://imgur.com/a/bewMZ[/spoiler]As you can see, sir, the land that Mexregiona could extend into is immense, and there is no doubt in my mind that Tretrid will be pleased with its border with unclaimed Atlantian territory. As you know, being closed off from unclaimed land can become a major headache for any nation wishing to expand. This proposed claim gives both countries a nice stretch of Cascadian territory, which is full of freshwater lakes and streams caused by the now-receded glaciers of the last ice age. Also, as you’ve probably noticed, there is a strange shape that looks to be neither Mexregionan or Tretridian. This is true; the cartographer and I decided that having an area for current Northwest Cascadian citizens is ideal if we want peace throughout the annexation. And, who knows? Maybe one day the territory will accept us foreigners and join either, or, both, of the two countries. That’d be nice. Anyway, I have to go, Longstorm and all.
–END–

— End quote

Mister Leader II read over and examined the document, along with the file, a couple dozen times. He considered the international aftereffects. How would Atlae react? Or anybody else, for that matter? And what happens if a war breaks out because of the annexation? Bad, all bad.

Then again, the Leader hadn’t had any serious failures in his life yet, and he wasn’t gonna start now. He wasn’t going to be that one Leader who declined an annexation and ended up getting his country bordered by a nation of Pax Proportions.

He began to type up a message to the leader of Tretrid. Things were going to go down.
((OOC: Your turn, Tretrid!))[edit_reason]Fixed Some Conventional Errors That Really Bothered Me[/edit_reason]

OOC: I finally found this thread. Northest Cascade will CTE in two days.

Prime Minister Adam Wilson stared at the Mexregionan message. He didn’t have much else, what with Domestic Minister James Stevenson been elected to the position and to be inaugurated on the 8th of Feburary. He had been reading it for 5 days, considering what to do. He knew that the populace wanted to expand Tretrid, but that was mainly Haaviland (he put off annexation until Stevenson became Prime Minister). Here was another chance to expand. He made his decision. He sent it down to the National Council for deliberation and drafting.

“We’ve gotten word that the Tretridian Prime Minister has sent the annexation idea up to their legislature, Mister Leader.”

Leader looked down upon one of his advisers: the one most concerned and knowing of the planned expansion. This was perhaps the most exciting part of his career yet, and the man was happy for him.
“Thanks for telling me, Spellman. Keep me updated on the stuff.”

The man paused, gave a little bow, and hurried out of the room, probably to ponder the effects of Mexregionan statistics if Northwest Cascade were to be joined into the Union.

Now it’s just a waiting game.

Maya Jaxacyl yawned. She just had a state dinner, and was getting tired. She looked at the map, with the new extension of the Atlae Isles. It seemed stable, but there was always its neighbors: Northwest Cascade and Celestia. Northwest Cascade was the one that concerned her.

Northwest Cascade, being that corrupt dictatorship that it was, wasn’t very stable. The intelligence team had reports of possible peasant uprisings. According to her calculations, the turning point would tip soon.

She typed up a message to Tretrid’s and Mexregiona’s leaders, asking what the plan was for a fallen Cascade.

— Begin quote from ____

She typed up a message to Tretrid’s and Mexregiona’s leaders, asking what the plan was for a fallen Cascade.

— End quote

Dear Maya Jaxacyl,

I’ve gotten your message and am happy to reply to your question. You see, the annexation of Northwest Cascade is not important only for an increased amount of land. The liberation, if you will, of it’s people is important to the people of Mexregiona. We, the government, see that many Cascadians are starving in their home country and find that we need to expand our influence to save their way of life. We believe that our ideologies and non-corruption, at least compared to the Cascade’s dictatorship, will aid the natives in their fight for wellbeing and happiness. I, myself, even think that’s Tretrid’s jurisdiction over the area will be a great revelation for the Cascadian’s. We want no competition for your nation’s lands, and we wish that our diplomatic relations may continue and prosper in the future. We see the annexation as a step forward, definitely not back.
Yours truly,
THE LEADER OF THE UNITED STATES OF MEXREGIONA, MISTER LEADER II

President of the Nat’l Council Matthew Irvine read the proposition. And read it again. And again. Those darn councilmen threw in so much legalese that even he couldn’t read it. He entered the voting/deliberation hall. “This is unreadable! It looks like you came up with the sentence ‘Tretrid will annex Northwest Cascade,’ and threw in padding to the point of illegibility!”[hr]An hour or two later, Irvine read the revised bill. Readable. He put it up to vote. “Now keep in mind that we are already planning to annex Haaviland. What should be our actions from there?” It passed 55-45. Now it was up for the Prime Minister.

— Begin quote from ____

— Begin quote from ____

— End quote

Dear Maya Jaxacyl,

I’ve gotten your message and am happy to reply to your question. You see, the annexation of Northwest Cascade is not important only for an increased amount of land. The liberation, if you will, of it’s people is important to the people of Mexregiona. We, the government, see that many Cascadians are starving in their home country and find that we need to expand our influence to save their way of life. We believe that our ideologies and non-corruption, at least compared to the Cascade’s dictatorship, will aid the natives in their fight for wellbeing and happiness. I, myself, even think that’s Tretrid’s jurisdiction over the area will be a great revelation for the Cascadian’s. We want no competition for your nation’s lands, and we wish that our diplomatic relations may continue and prosper in the future. We see the annexation as a step forward, definitely not back.
Yours truly,

— End quote

Dear Mister Leader II,

It seems I am confused. To clarify what you’ve said, I will summarize: “Because the people in the corrupt dictatorship are starving, we must annex them so they won’t starve. Tretrid would be good too.”

Now, in the instance that Cascade falls (and it probably will) what will we stand to gain? Do we get a share of the land to spread our influence?

Sincerely,
Maya Jaxacyl
Secretary of Regional Affairs
The Atlae Isles

— Begin quote from ____

Alright, ma’am; you drive a hard bargain, but here’s what I came up with in an effort to maintain diplomatic cohesiveness:
[spoiler]http://imgur.com/a/4zSaQ[/spoiler]As you can see, rather than allotting solely claims to the Second Republic and Our Union, these markings also give your mainland claims a sizable boost (as in more than twice the size of your original area). Please notice that the claim also gives Cascadian natives the land around their original capital. This new prospect will share the land to every power in the immediate area, and will hopefully fulfill everybody’s wants. If you have any problems with this renewed sketch, please contact myself or my cartographers. Thank you.
Yours truly,
LEADER OF THE UNITED STATES OF MEXREGIONA, MISTER LEADER II

— End quote

Okay, now we got a new sailor on the vessel; we’re just going to see how Tretrid reacts.
— Begin quote from ____

Dear Adam Wilson,
As you may or may not have already been alerted, The Atlae Isles is now in the running for Cascadian annexation. My cartographers and I have revised the original claim and would like to make sure that is given the OK by your government. One more note is to be placed, however. Although it is tough to see, the new claim allows Mexregiona a tiny slit of land that borders the seas north of Mainland Atlantia. That being said, it would be wise, if the annexation were to be carried out, to construct a network of bridges to connect the now-severed divisions of your Second Republic. We’d gladly fund these buildings, as it will allow economic growth in the area, but we wanted to be positive that you were aware of this fact. Naval and trading uses will be utilized with this small yet powerful section of territory.
Yours truly,

— End quote

((OOC: Just so you peeps know, in the new claim, the new Mexregionan land is in the southwest, new Atlae is west of their current claim, the natives’ claim between Atlae’s and Tretrid’s, and Tretrid’s north and east of the Mexregionan area. Tretrid’s annexation areas are separated by a thin Mexregionan jut toward the ‘big gulf.’ If what I just put down confused you, don’t worry; you’re not alone.))

OOC: It’s time.

Peasant uprisings began early at 9 in the morning. The government was unprepared for a war, and the military just ignored them.

The 4th Army based in mainland Atlantia started mobilizing. They wait for the signal of the Mexregionan and Tretridian militaries. But they would wait for now.

Darius and his regiment patrolled the Cascadian/Mexregionan Border, alert for any movements or parties that needed to be settled down. The man had been given orders to only launch onto the offensive, if and when, both of the alternate allied belligerents were given the GO. The fiesta hadn’t started, yet.

((OOC: I’ll try and go into more detail when the annexation actually begins. Look out for some amateur cartography examples in the future!))

The Army of the MSR mobilized. As the Navy was preoccupied, they wouldn’t have any support.

1st Lieutenant Alan Russell looked at the battalion he had been assigned by the General. There were others, of course, as a battalion wasn’t enough to annex the nation. Even a fallen dictatorship.
It wasn’t as bad as the Atlaesians had to deal with. No peasant risings. They seemed to like Tretridian democracy better than their dictatorship.
The logistics were a problem. Keeping the tanks on the road, towing the artillery, and trying not to take casualties from the remaining fragments of Northwest Cascade. Things were going smoothly. For now.

“Screw it,” Darius barked, staring down at his men, “you guys aren’t worth the crap that comes out my mouth! If you guys are gonna get anywhere out there, you have to man up! You, too, ladies! The way I see it, this whole regimen will be in a mass grave by tomorrow morning! So get your craps out there, and do some dangnabbitcrapping conquering!”

So, instead of following Mister Leader II’s orders, they decidedly marched toward the Cascadian city of Vancouver, a prime and decisive outpost for this mini-war.
BATTLE IS NIGH

Peasant groups had ravaged the countryside. The military had disbanded, trying to save their own families. The government had done nothing.

And still, mobilization continued. Negotiations with the Atlantian natives had taken a while.

News reached the Tretridian battalion. “They’re reaching Vancouver already?”
Russell had a comlink back to Fort Johnston (along with the other commissioned officers), and the General was saying, “Here are my orders: Half of you go for Salem, and half of you go to Victoria! Now!”
Russell was on the half the General decided to sent to Victoria. Back up north.

News had reached the army that Tretrid had made the first move, unprepared, with not enough artillery and weapons.

They had laughed it off, and started moving out.

Air support whipped across Northern Cascade, the army annexing Cascade with every step. The blitzkrieg had happened (by blitzkrieg, I just mean a quick conquest, not a nazi reference), and it was happening fast. Based on some calculations and some secret planning, Mexregiona wouldn’t capture their rightfully Atlaesian territory.

OOC: Unprepared? I brought tanks, artillery, and air support!

Russell looked at Victoria. He wasn’t impressed. Draeset looked a lot better than this! He ordered the armored vehicles and tanks to take the roads, while the infantry would moved in and rose the flag of Tretrid.
[hr]
Bartholomew Smith checked in at a hotel in Dropdatderp. While his original plan was to help moderate a negotiation, but Prime Minister Wilson had emailed him that he needed to negotiate specific boundaries for the split Cascade. He started to compose a message to Mister Leader II and the leadership of the Atlae Isles.

To: Mister Leader II
Cc: King Calvin I

Hello,
I would like to negotiate which land goes to which nation, as to prevent border disputes.
Thanks,
Bartholomew Smith
Minister of Foreign Affairs
The Second Republic of Tretrid

— Begin quote from ____

Hello,
I would like to negotiate which land goes to which nation, as to prevent border disputes.
Thanks,
Bartholomew Smith

— End quote

Dear Mister Smith,

Of course we can negotiate the land appropriations. If you give me your location ((You can leave that out, Tretrid.)), I can send a mode of transportation to collect and deposit you in Mini Insulmin, which is my Dropdatderp headquarters. I’d be glad to make arrangements with the Atlae Isles, too. If they send their location ((Same goes for you, Atlae.)), we’ll be able to have a nice discussion over the matter. After all, great ordeals need great representatives to cooperate. Once both parties arrive, things can be decided, and things will happen.
Yours truly,

((QUESTION: Will we be discussing the claim prospect I most recently posted, or no? After much thought, I think those borders are pretty fair and reasonable. Northwest Cascade was shaped weird, so I did the best I could at the time.))

— Begin quote from ____

Hello,
Thanks,
Bartholomew Smith

— End quote

As I recall, here is the border thing. http://i.imgur.com/7IvM9zE.png

— Begin quote from ____

— Begin quote from ____

Alright, ma’am; you drive a hard bargain, but here’s what I came up with in an effort to maintain diplomatic cohesiveness:
[spoiler]http://imgur.com/a/4zSaQ

— End quote

[/spoiler]As you can see, rather than allotting solely claims to the Second Republic and Our Union, these markings also give your mainland claims a sizable boost (as in more than twice the size of your original area). Please notice that the claim also gives Cascadian natives the land around their original capital. This new prospect will share the land to every power in the immediate area, and will hopefully fulfill everybody’s wants. If you have any problems with this renewed sketch, please contact myself or my cartographers. Thank you.
Yours truly,

— End quote

Therefore, Tretrid, you can’t march to Salem. Unless, of course, we would all like different borders.

The general in command was disappointed that the army had not captured any big cities yet.

“Onward, men! If you march faster, you can reach Seattle!”

Boats were being launched to reach Portland before Tretrid’s army could take it. It was a race to gobble up Northwest Cascade.

OOC: I know I shouldn’t own Portland or Seattle, but I have no cities. If Tretrid wishes to discard it by marching to Salem, perhaps we should disregard the old map.

— Begin quote from ____

Therefore, Tretrid, you can’t march to Salem. Unless, of course, we would all like different borders.

— End quote

((I’m fine with those claims, so, really, it’s Tretrid’s and your decision whether to accept it or not.))