Viscaline

Somewhere in the million-acre lands of oil fields, farmland, steppe, and waste of the Burdek Lowlands, east of Vekaiyu and West of former Listonian Army encampments near the Ryykovaa border, the boundaries of science and nationalism are fused into one horrible, miscible blend. Written off by most nations as second-world backwater filth, Listonia’s land-savvy millions have been stirred to a fury by one man: Lso Yiskevi, one of the current leaders locked in a chess game of power in Listonia. While not viewed as a benevolent despot with the ilk of Stapen Evesuni, his articulate and collective nature combined with once unfathomable dreams have captured their adoration and respect.

At least, that’s how he appears on the outside. Inside he stands an irresponsible threat to peace across the region. A devout Vekaiyun loyalist, he wishes nothing more than to see a world accomplish its greatest task: submit to the superior Vekaiyun way in any means possible.

Although such a desire is clandestine among the populace, it has nevertheless been a well-leaked secret among research institutions that the Listonian government will fund scientific projects deemed too reckless by most Vekaiyun standards. Enter Viscaline.

“Cadipremier Yiskevi, we are pleased you made the journey over to Ye’leli to witness what by all accounts should be a momentous occasion.”

He nodded as a few guards drew the blinds - only a few slits from the hot sun managed to peek through. “I admit the project sounded almost too good to be true, Hejul General Dimastrevu. Does it work?”

“We have orchestrated a demonstration. Upon your good graces, we will go along with the project.” He leaned over. “Enter!”

The door opened slowly and a team of men entered - some vulpine, some human. All Listonian loyalists.

“Greetings Cadipremier Lso Yiskevi. I am Frankyo Yismesteru, researcher funded under the LEAO project. While I don’t know if you’ve heard of me before, by the end of the day, you will remember me.” He smiled. “By now however I am certain you have heard of Dago Simlevus, cadipremier.”

Dago Simlevus, predicted by every poll, survey, newspaper, and media source out of Dveria to be the next successor to the fallen king. He is only just beginning to undim his eyes from the hot glow of the royalty spotlight yet stands at an opportunistic crossroads in his career. By all accounts, he will be Dveria’s new king.

A human stood next to an already-placed a crude cardboard standee of the future king. “Cadipremier, this man is Yuk Imleskovi. Yuk fought along side Listonian loyalists and has proven his love for the Listonian people. He has volunteered specifically for the project at hand. He has the same height, same eye color, build, posture, and has been educated on every aspect of Dverian culture, language, and history. He knows Dago probably better than he knows himself.”

“And… voice?” Lso asked.

The researcher removed a playback tape player from his pocket. He pushed play, and a short piece played in Dverian. “There is little doubt in my mind that the Dverian people deserve better than what they have been provided. For too long, we have let other entities and nations control our fate. We cannot, indeed will not…”

Yuk spoke. “There is little doubt in my mind that the Dverian people deserve better than what they have been provided. For too long, we have let other entities and nations control our fate. We cannot, indeed will not…”

“Fascinating,” Lso said as he moved back in his chair. “But he looks nothing like the man. He’s even missing part of his ring finger. Something about a childhood accident.”

“Allow me to change that. I hold in my hand a controlled amount of viscaline. Viscaline is a substance which makes the dermis and epidermis layers completely pliable for a temporary period, allowing the skin to become moldable like clay. But what good is this material, you might ask? Well, I can change any and all features I need to.”

One of the researchers, probably a graduate student, placed a mold on the desk, followed by a rectangular aluminum block with a handle for ease of carrying. He opened up the block to reveal hand molds, complete with a shortened left ring finger.

“Let me proceed with the demonstration,” the researcher asked. Yuk rolled up his sleeve and the doctor cleaned the area with alcohol before injecting the fluid. After a few seconds, he pressed firmly into Yuk’s forehead, leaving behind two impressive ridges. He then scratched at it, leaving a canyon-like streak across the face. When Lso Yiskevi moved forward in his seat, the researcher smiled. He beckoned for one of the molds, and upon receiving it handed it to Yuk. He brought it up to his face and pressed down firmly for a few seconds. He then removed it to reveal a spitting image of Dago Simlevus. Once he placed the mold down, he put his hands into the hand molds, carefully pushing down his one ring finger, after which prompted one of the researchers to close the mold up like a waffle iron. Again after a few seconds the mold was removed to show a set of hands indistinguishable with Dago’s.

Lso smiled. “General?” he asked.

“Provided you grant us approval, we will be quick to switch our man out with the real Simlevus. Plans will be drawn up, and the mission will be carried out. Provided our success here, the plan will be to copy this action with Sevropia and countless other nations that have proven to be or are rumored to be enemies of Listonia.”

Lso furrowed his brow and thought behind fingers touching at the tips. “I like it. I like this, General. Much less invasive than a war, and if done correctly, we can remain incognito indefinitely. Not even Vekaiyu needs to know.”

The general gave a slow nod.

Undisclosed Location, Northern Dveria.

“Rukka, wake up man!”

“Huh…” Deshawn slowly came to, waking up at the observation post. It was overlooking the nearby Dverian military base.

“Holy fuck, man!” As he awoke, the full scale of the buildup had become clear; A massive convoy of Dverian vehicles was moving towards the border.

“Report this?”

“Yeah…like now!” As he finished, two Dverian SU-27’s flew otherhead towards the border.

[hr]

SSgt James Anderson, Tano-Dveria border

“So what’d you tell em’, sarge?”

“I told em I ain’t out of the army yet, but i’d reconsider his job offer la–” He was cut off by the roar of fighter jets and the base alarm, with explosions in the distance.

“Holy shit!” exclaimed a private, looking at a Dverian SU-27 dropping a bomb nearby.

“Get ready folks! Looks like wars coming our way afterall!”

[hr]

Dverian Imperial Palace

“Are we sure this is the best course of action?” murmered one of the junior officers in the room.

“You will not question my actions” spoke a newly crowned Dago seriously, shoving the officer aside.

“What the people need, is a victory.” He continued, ignoring the officers protests. “A morale boost from recent defeats. This will give us it. Now get to work.”

“What about South Hills, sir?”

“They’ll chicken out and broker some peace deal, i’m sure.”

“As for Vekaiyu, sir? We’re leaving our Southern Front dangeriously exposed.”

“Alas, general. The new conscription laws are paying off; Tano lacks a real military outside of the SHACOG force there, We’ll keep a good force in the south incase the Vekaiyans come knocking.”

“Very well, sir.” The officers left the room, to get to there work.

[hr]
Situation Room, South Hills, Undisclosed location.

“How in the fuck did we miss this?” exlaimed a newly awoken Rob Hunter, obviously displeased of being informed of this at 3 o clock in the morning South Hills time.

“They knew our satellite timetables, sir. Was only a matter of planning around our survellance.”

“Well great, what do we have?”

“4 Dverian Divisions against our Marine division, even with our superior weaponry and air support, I don’t think we can hold the line more than a week.” He paused, before continueing.

“And because Tano lacks any real military to speak of, It’d be shooting fish in a barrel for the Dverians.”

“How far away is our reinforcements?”

“We’re mobilizing the 23rd Armored Division from the Tano mainland, but it will be at least 3 days before they’re out there in force.”

“As for naval and air support?..”

“Elizabeth is in the area and scrambling fighters, our Air bases in tano are on high alert as well.”

“Keep me posted on any more details.”

“Aye aye, sir.” With that, the aging man left the room and attempted to sleep.

Ozerki, Laiatanese Federation

“Artyom, wake up!” Artyom was shaken awake by his friend’s words, looking up at him with a dazed, sleep-filled gaze. “What? What’s going on, Vanya?” The small two bedroom apartment shook as the sound of helicopters flew overhead, obviously military. Vanya motioned for Artyom to follow into the living room. Once Artyom was up and in the room with him, Vanya turned up the television’s volume.

“In response, President Kreskov condemned the invasion and ordered the military on full alert.”

The camera cut to a shot of the airbase in Ozerki, showing several J-10s taking off.

“Unconfirmed reports indicate that several cruisers from Roaming Fleet Bravo, positioned off the Rygardi coast, are headed south towards the conflict area as a show of force.”

A look of worry immediately spread across Artyom’s features. “Are we being invaded?” His lupine counterpart shook his head, walking into the kitchen and packing a few snacks into a couple bags. “No, but Tano is. And since they’re right next door, I thought we’d drive.” Artyom rolled his eyes, turning off the television. “Seriously? Work?” Vanya looked back up at him, nodding. “Hey, don’t you want to get out of this shithole apartment? Only way we’re gonna do that is if we get good shots. Come on, grab your gear.”

With a slight groan, Artyom headed back into his bedroom and grabbed his camera bag, pausing a moment before spotting his journalist badge and passport on his nightstand. He stuffed his passport into his camera bag and clipped the badge onto his shirt, yawning as he followed Vanya out the front door, after checking everything was locked up. “We’re some of the dumbest people on this planet,” Artyom mumbled as the two climbed into Vanya’s car. “Yeah, I know.”

Victoria, Republic of the Grand Pacific

“One hundred thousand troops?” Marcus Sydney repeated with obvious disbelief. “They moved one hundred thousand troops in the last forty minutes?”

“Yes, sir.” General Morris dryly answered.

“We’re certain this isn’t an exercise?”

“Yes, sir.”

The Governor-general shook his head and leaned back in his chair, looking over the digital readout on the sit-room wall.

“Has Tano responded?” Sydney asked.

“Not at this time, sir, however there are reports of Dverian airstrikes all along the southern border. We’ve diverted additional satellites to the area to increase surveillance.” The general replied.

“What other assets do we have in the area?”

“The Tyee battlegroup is forward deployed in Reziel and can be on station in forty-eight hours. Keigan Sea and Ranger are in port and MCO ready. Those battlegroups will reach the Straits of Tano within two weeks.”

Marcus Sydney nodded and stood up. He double-tapped the table top with the knuckles of his right hand, hoping to invite good luck. “Do it. I want a national security briefing every six hours.”

“Kral Commodore Nevikalu,” Ikrisia said as she burst through the doors, forcing her entourage of hejul generals, solike commodores, and various staff members through the open entry with her. She didn’t wait for the other generals sitting near the Kral Commodore to quickly sweep away their alcoholic drinks in preparation for the leader of Vekaiyu’s unexpected appearance. Instead, they all froze, only the lit cigars from some of their fingers disturbing the scenery with their slowly-rising whips of smoke. “Return to the northern front in Ikoyvu immediately. Your armies will mobilize tonight.”

The kral commodore stood from where he sat, his face returning to a serious demeanor as his mustache bristled. “Ma’am we know what Dveria’s doing to Tano. We can’t really act until the Kivreskov lets us.”

“That is merely a formality. It was never a condition of the Kivreskov to bog the army down in bureaucratic legislation.” She looked around at the semi-disgraceful scene in front of her. “Return to acting like… respectful men… and drive your armies forward on a general assault. Do not stop until you meet the borders of Tano.”

“Milady,” Yiisu Iskaristre, the vulpine man who had faced the brunt of Dverian operations in the past with the obliteration of the Vekaiyun 40th division, began, “We are dug in along the border. The new Dverian leader is volatile, but we cannot just act at the drop of a hat. It’s not logic-”

“The very fact that you have not been court marshaled for sentencing an entire division to slaughter should be grace enough. Your livelihood belongs to me, Vil Commodore. One more mistake, one more move unbecoming of Vekaiyun dominance is all you need to assure yourself that your entrance into Vekaiyun territory will be your last. If you value your job, if you value your life, you will march your forces to the Dverian capital and turn their city into a tremendous dam.”

“Vinsent Miloskari’s blood is on their hands. Millions of Vekaiyun lives are on their hands. They were not given a second chance. The same fate will be held for everyone in this room, should they fail. Squeeze their borders into nothingness! Then your jobs will be assured.”

She turned around as a few of her staff rushed to open the doors. “Inform the delegations from South Hills, British Grand Pacific, Listonia, and Tano. We are entering the war in dramatic fashion.”

— Begin quote from ____

From the desk of Ikrisia Levinile

Cadipremier Yiskevi,

In one half-hour Vekaiyu will formally declare war on Dveria. I fully expect Listonia to follow suit, if your nation values its sovereignty. Dveria can and will invade through the south: that much is known. Have your council organize with our higher-classed commodores to mobilize readied Listonian divisions on the front.

Regards,
Premier Ikrisia Levinile

— End quote

“In the last few hours, Dverian forces have seized the Tipur village, with heavy fighting ongoing in Bassville and Cooton.” The TV was echoing throughout the cafe, hooked up via sattelite TV; Cable TV wasn’t existant in Tano, with a vast majority (over 90%) living a simpler lifestyle simular to that of the Amish, with many still using horedrawn carriages and the like.

Yelown, one of the seaside towns in the eastern part of Tano, was a seaside major international port in the middle of the Tano Straights, and was exempt from Tano’s usual laws on electronics and the like.

“South Hills President Rob Hunter announced today he would invoke a section of the SHACOG-Tano Defense Treaty that gave SHACOG the authority to close the Tano Straights incase of war, citing ‘Major threats to shipping, and the disruption that the straights are causing to the conflict’. It is unknown what effect the closure to both military and civillian shipping from the Tano Straights will have on international commerce. On other news, Vekaiyu has condemned the actions of Dveria and declared war last night. It is unknown when ground conflict will begin in southern Dveria.”

“Are they serious?” asked Abdi, looking at his partner, Jibam.

“Well obviously, We got what we need, let’s get out of here.” The two where more modernized Tanoians, and had been employed by multiple region-wide news sources to get pictures of the conflict.

“Not yet, theres still money to be made here friend-…Hold up” The TV continued.

“South Hills is issueing a evacuation for the entire East Sector of Tano, and is offering transport and ferry to the Center Island. It is not required to leave, but it is officially recommended at this time.”

“Most people will leave, 'Bam. I’m telling you, We can make a huge amount of money here.”

“Fuck it, let’s do it.” Both men left the money on the table, grabbed there cameras and left the bar. They left the cafe and moved past the docks where multiple tanks and soldiers where being unloaded, and took a few pictures before getting in there car and moving towards the conflict.

Emergency National Security Briefing, Mahihaus West Wing, Volkgoroda

“Vekaiyu is entering the war full force, Herr President. There’s no doubt their military will succeed in its objectives, we’ve all seen them at work before. This also puts them in a prime position to exert influence onto our neighbor. We cannot allow them to exert influence this far north. Having SHACOG in Tano is more than enough, we don’t need Vekaiyuns there too. We all remember what they did to our helicopters when they got the chance. Not to mention this invasion of Tano puts our sovereignty in direct threat.” General Alyosha Lagunov spoke, zooming the map in on the conflict areas.

“Therefore, it is the recommendation of the Joint Chiefs and National Security Council that we mobilize forces to begin countering the Dverian invasion. Call up Roaming Fleet Alpha from its port in Paniki and ready it to respond, as well as shift the entirety of Roaming Fleet Bravo south into the Tano Straits so we can begin launching fighters into Tano to combat Dverian advances. SHACOG will let us through the closure. They won’t risk starting another conflict. We can use the Naval Infantry assigned to it to begin seizing border towns and eventually pushing into Dveria. Call it a police action. The more territory we hold means more territory between us and Vekaiyu.”

“And what do we do concerning the Federation Assembly? They have to approve the use of the military within 60 days of using it. This is going to take longer than 60 days, I guarantee you that,” President Kreskov responded, tapping a pen on the table. “By the time we take sections of Dveria, we’ll be forced to pull out without their approval. Then we have nothing.”

“You will have the consent of the Assembly. You have my word,” Chairwoman Nadya Tselner replied from down the table. “We’re patriotic, remember? Spin this into defense of the country. A preemptive strike, if you will.” The female lupine brushed a lock of hair from her eye. “I will ensure United Laiatan pushes this through. The plan is sound, and we should have minimal casualties. This is different from Rygard. We’re defending ourselves from external threats this time, not freeing a people.”

“Two military actions in two terms. Not great for ratings, but we have to do what we have to do. Bring Roaming Fleet Bravo back into the Gulf through the Straits, call up Roaming Fleet Alpha and prepare them in case they’re needed. Commit Air Force units to bombing Dverian advances before the Navy fighters can get there. You know what to do from there, we’ve done this before on a smaller scale.” Kreskov stood up, closing his folder and tucking the pen into his pocket. “Get to work.”

His Cabinet and advisers stood up and quickly left to do their assigned jobs, knowingly ignoring the tradition of letting the President leave first.

Somewhere on Interstate 42, approaching the Tano border

“The president alerted the Federation Assembly early this morning of his intention to commit Laiatanese military forces to a police action in Tano in order to combat the Dverian invasion, with the intention of preserving Tano’s sovereignty and Laiatanese interests in the region. Reports show that Roaming Fleet Bravo, once stationed in Rygard and mere weeks from being pulled out to return home, has been ordered south through the closed Tano Straits. Roaming Fleet Alpha has been called up and prepare to leave its port.”

“Shit, it’s the real thing,” Artyom mumbled in disbelief as he opened another bottle of water, taking a drink. “Never thought we’d get as involved as we are.” Vanya nodded, blowing smoke out the open window. “Yup. It’s some crazy stuff. Heard they closed down the Straits. Should be interesting to see how that comes out.” Vanya took another drag from his cigarette before tossing it out the window. His eyes remained on the darkened freeway, a few other cars heading in their direction, presumably family or other journalists.

Artyom dug around in his bag for a moment before pulling out a small notebook and pen, and he began scribbling away as they got closer to the border.

Roaming Fleet Bravo, approaching the Tano Straits

Admiral Georgiy Yakovelev peered through a pair of binoculars at the approaching strait, staring at several SHACOG ships he was able to pick out. The fleet itself consisted of twelve ships. With a sigh, the aging lupine put the binoculars down, rubbing his temples with a sigh. “Alright, prepare to send out the message. We were ordered to not stop, so we won’t.”

After waiting some time for the fleet to close in on the strait, the admiral gave a nod to the communications officer, who began broadcasting.

“Attention SHACOG ship or vessel. Do not interfere with our passage through the strait. We are under orders from the central government of the Laiatanese Federation. If you attempt to interfere with our passage, you will be fired upon and destroyed immediately. For your own safety, maintain a safe distance from our fleet.”

“And now we wait,” the admiral mumbled, taking his seat in the bridge.

Listening Post/Observation Post Alpha
The Fourth Imperium/Reziel Border

Ardeth, a member of the fish speakers and a priestess, manned LP/OP Alpha, a one woman listening and observation post. The post was within an ancient temple on The Fourth Imperium’s northern border with Reziel. This ancient temple also contained a cache of weapons. Ardeth was the guardian of these weapons.

She had observed that the Republic of the Grand Pacific had a battlegroup stationed around Reziel, and she had heard that it was underway to Tano with an estimated time of arrival of 48 hours. She was determined to be with that battlegroup when it arrived. Ardeth heavily armed herself with both offensive and defensive weapons and crossed Reziel’s border.

Listening Post/Observation Post Bravo
Listonia Eastern Border

Siona Atreides, the daughter of God-Emperor Leto’s trusted attendant and adviser, manned LP/OP Bravo. Siona harbored a strong rebellious streak, and, by her teenage years, became violently opposed to God-Emperor Leto’s domineering rule of his empire. Her rebellious actions continued ever after the God-Emperor forced her into joining the fish speakers. During one incident, she barely escaped alive after stealing some of his personal journals and plans. However, the God-Emperor persistence with the defiant Siona continued in no small part because of her formidable potential, which he tested in the deep desert of The Fourth Imperium. Here his hopes were realized.

He forced the unhappy and distracted young Siona to drink liquefied spice melange until she fell into a spice trance where she experienced prescient visions. Her experiences did not bring her closer to the God-Emperor, and her determination to destroy him continued. Despite this, her charisma and intelligence helped her emerge as a leader.

Siona heard millions of like minded individuals whipped into a frenzy, and now she’s the God-Emperor’s ear as she listens in on the Listonian government and research institutions alike for a means of establishing empire to match the mob’s will to do so. She was hearing whispers of rumors about rumors of war, and she must verify if they’re true.

Listening Post/Observation Post Charlie
Tano Eastern Border

Nayla, a Fish Speaker, manned LP/OP Charlie. When Dverian SU-27s first crossed the border into Tano, it was up to her and only her to interpret the actions taken by the Dverians in order to potentially make meaning out of the noise, but, when she alerted The Fourth Imperium, they would decipher the actions and understand how the ‘noise’ would affect her. With every bomb dropped, the line of demarcation between Tano and Dveria blurred. Nayla knew fish speakers would never let that happen to their home. They would never get so comfortable with their enemies. Nayla and others like her would alert the Imperium to any potential danger.

She left it to the Imperium to digest all of the information she was sending them. She would be like a child waiting for the sound of her mother’s return home, and the evacuation of the East Sector of Tano just opened the door for her. The bombs marked the footsteps of her approach. The Imperium just needs to know how what they say will affect the others. This is what will be important.

They must turn on their judgement while analyzing the data in order to communicate in an unbiased fashion, but maybe it’s the others who should have been listening because it might be them who are receiving the instructions soon. They can choose not to comply or agree, but they will listen. The result may not be what they expected.

The bombings keep Nayla busy. She records the targets, both inhabited and abandoned, via a large wall map which showed the Dverian/Tano border and the area east where her LP/OP was located which, on any other world map, was an unclaimed plot of land, but, on her map, it read The Fifth Imperium.

International waters north of Tano

McEvans sighted the periscope’s crosshairs on the bow of the ship. “Bearing. Mark!”

“Angle on the bow, port ten.”

“Solution set, Captain. Contact steady at three-six-hundred yards, speed 16 knots, course two-eight-one.”

“Very good. Down scope.” The slick, shiny tube was already descending before McEvans finished giving the order. For two hours the Memphis-class boat tracked the oiler. Her sonar picked it up at a range of fourty-eight miles and guided her in for the “kill”. For now, McEvan’s orders were to treat every contact as a possible enemy.

“She’s definitely Laiatanese, sir.” The XO commented as he looked over the tactical plot showing a pair of frigates several miles off. “Must be feeling confident, too. Straight and steady, no zigzag.”

“Flash traffic advised a full carrier group issued a challenge to SHACOG locking things down. This might not be a drill next time.” McEvans glanced disapprovingly at his mug after taking a cold sup of coffee.

“Diving officer, make your depth two hundred feet. Let’s see where our friend takes us.”

[edit] I can has grammar, too!

“To be fair, general, I am aware of recent developments near the straits of Tano,” Ikrisia replied in a calm demeanor. The calmness was slightly unsettling, but it could be due to the fact that she was too busy mulling over incomming reports from the Ikoyvu / Dverian front to really merit the time needed to appreciate the gravity of the situation. “There is little we can do. Our first roaming fleet is nearing the coasts of Warre and is too far away to provide any sort of support. Our second roaming feet is in open waters monitoring the situation near Lazlow. Only our home fleet is close enough, since they’re providing support on the Listonian coast. And I’m not about to move them, especially as I await a declaration of war from their nation.”

“It might behoove us to pay close attention, milady. The growing conflict involves three nations whom we regard as allies.”

“That does not concern me, general. None of them have contacted us regarding the developments. Our business is squeezing Dveria off the map. The rest, we will watch with attention.”

“Yes, milady. Is there any word of Listonia’s announcement?”

“It’s merely a formality. Their divisions are already involved in our recent attack.”

Joint Operations Center (JOC)

“Sir!” screamed a younger intelligance operative, running into the room.

“Yes?” said Fleet Admiral Garrison, appointed chief of the Tano Area of Responsibility (TAR)

“Laiatan is going to attempt to run the Straights with a battlegroup”

“Where did you get this information from?” replied the surprised Admiral.

“Well, reports came in recently of our sources in Rygard saying of the battlegroups departure, but they’ve been screaming of the Roaming Fleet going through the closed Tano Straights on public radio all morning.”

“Well, that’s fortunate for us. Let’s see to it they walk into a trap.”

The general moved over to the computerized table, which provided a moving picture of Tano and the ongoing fight with the Dverians, as well as the recently inputted position of the Laitanese battlegroup, roughly 200NM from the Tano Straights.

He moved the majority of the battlegroup deeper into the straights, which the mountainous and rough terrain of Tano would mask them from the approaching Laitainese ships.

“And Rear Admiral Ki’Lun’s group will be at the opening”

“Just 3 ships against a entire battlegroup, sir?”

“That’s the bait, son.” He pointed up and down the coast at various positions; everyone in the JOC knew they where Anti-ship missile trucks. “If we left it completely open, it would be far too obvious we’re on to them.”

“They’ll walk right into it, and either they bug off or the war will start with 12 Laitenese ships at the bottem of the straights. Make the movements and place our troops on the Laitain border on alert. We will not bow to pressure like this”

“Very well, sir… I’ve also received word that the Pittsburgh battlegroup is roughly 2 days out, 1 NAU is arriving now and 2 NAU will be here within a week.”

“Good, keep me posted. Get to work on those movements.”

[hr]

“Why us, ma’am?”

“I’m told ‘Because we’re dependable.’” muttered the vulpine Rear Admiral.

“More like 'Because we’re a good punching bag.” She chuckled, looking at the captain.

“1 Arleigh Burke-class destroyer - Wikipedia and 2 Freedom-class littoral combat ship - Wikipedia against a carrier battlegroup. Shall we prepare the lifeboats?”

She chuckled, “Not yet, We have a plan”.

She looked around the bridge, before speaking in a serious yet firm tone. “General quarters.”

The ships sprang to life, with soldiers assuming battle positions all over.

“How far away are they?”

“Should be entering visual range…now”

She peered through the binoculars, and saw the approaching ships in the distance.

“Very well, You all knew what to do”

She grabbed the radio set for units on the operation, and spoke two words; “Go loud.”

Harpoon (missile) - Wikipedia batteries popped up all along the coastline of the center island and northern coast; at least 25 in total. She was doing the math in her head, and it appeared obvious that there was no way the Laitanese fleet would withstand the barrage of 250 or so missiles without heavy casualties. If they didin’t know beforehand, they knew know that 28 different missile lock alarms would be sounding in the ships command and control centers.

“Bring the noise, save the thunder.”

These where all carefully chosen codewords to confuse anyone listening in of the missions true intentions; the ‘noise’ was a flight of F/A-357 strike craft, who had been flying low to avoid the prying radar. ‘Thunder’ was the codeword to begin an attack, so the Rear Admiral was in effect asking for them to buzz the ships.

The fighters maintained there low altitude, and buzzed by the lead ship roughly 100 feet infront of it at only 100 feet in altitude, The fighters where armed with RQ-57’s themselves, 4 a piece, but they did not shoot in an attempt to ward the ships off, the noise of which would be disorientating and distracting to the crew onboard; It was a clear message, but she needed to send a verbal one as well.

“Send the message” she nodded towards the communications officer,

— Begin quote from ____

ATTENTION UNIDENTIFIED VESSELS

You are entering territorial waters of Tano. You are hereby ordered to divert your course immediatly divert your course, continued intrusion would be seen as an act of war against Tano, South Hills, and the British Grand Pacific, Continued incursion will result in engagement.

— End quote

“Endeaver, Go loud.”

Endeaver, a Independence class frigate, knew what this meant. The ship had recently been outfitted with Long Range Acoustic Devices (LRAD’s), that could broadcast a message over long range as well as deter attackers, Although originally meant for ground troops, the pyschological effect had particular use in this operation.

The frigate began broadcasting the above message with intervals of the LRAD Sound Effect - YouTube, a loud audible frequency that could cause permament hearing damage at close range as well as disorientate any crew on the deck. The frigate, designed for speed and agility, began cutting zig-zags infront of the incoming fleet while broadcasting its message with the LRAD’s.

The message was broadcasted in Laitenese and English, with intervals of the deterrence sound.

“Now what?”

“The ball’s in there court, it seems.” replied the Rear Admiral, looking at the oncoming ships.

[hr]

Interstate 42, Tano-Laitan border.

The three Humvees pulled into the border checkpoint, with a M2 Bradley - Wikipedia as a APC for cover. The practice was being repeated at all border checkpoints; Any incoming citizens are to be searched for a valid passport and to ensure they do not have any espianoge equipment or weaponry. All citizens who have been scanned of all nations will be permitted to enter the country.

This was not as difficult as it sounds to enforce, as the amount of incoming traffic was at an all-time low due to the war; They had an additional duty, rigging the bridge to blow (This section of the Tano - Laitan border was decided by the River Fish) if the Laitenese decided to invade, this would stall the advance long enough for reserves to move up.

Roaming Fleet Bravo, approaching Tano waters

Alarms sounded across the carrier group, sailors quickly arriving to their battle stations. “We’ve got anti-ship missiles on the coast, Admiral!” A crewmember shouted, spotting a battery. “What the fuck are they doing? We’re not after them. Comm officer!” The officer turned his head quickly towards the admiral, who was scribbling a message down on a sheet of paper before shoving it towards him. “Send that. Why aren’t we launching fighters?” The admiral shouted, removing his tie.

As the ships sprung to life, the communications officer on the Vladislav Vasilyev began sending the admiral’s message.

“Attention, attention. This is the LNS Vladislav Vasilyev of the Laiatanese Navy. Do not fire upon our vessels. We have no interest in sparking a war here, we are on your side, repeat, on your side. We are executing direct orders from the Laiatanese federal government to preserve the territorial integrity of Tano and our country. Repeat, please stand down. We are moving into position to combat Dverian troop movements across the Tano border. Repeat, combating Dverian troop movements. Please respond.”

“Message sent Admiral!” The comm officer looked down on the deck as planes were moved into position to launch. “Begin defensive maneuvers, all ships, lower speed to show our compliance with their demands,” the Admiral barked. “I want our fighters to target those batteries and other fighters. DO NOT FIRE ON THEM. This is strictly for our defense. Are our countermeasures online?”

“All countermeasures online, Admiral.”

“I just hope they can get it through their thick skulls we’re with them…” the Admiral mumbled.

Interstate 42, approaching Tano border

Several miles from the Tano border, Vanya and Artyom had been stopped by a contingent of National Guard troops.

“What the fuck do you mean we can’t pass through?” Vanya questioned, a scowl across his face as he stared up at the soldier.

“The border with Tano has been closed to all traffic due to troop movements along our border. I recommend you guys turn around before the shit hits the fan,” the soldier responded. His eyes went up towards the sky when a helicopter flew overhead. “We’re looking at a possible invasion, so turn back. Get out of the area.”

West Wing, Mahihaus, Volkgoroda

“WHAT? Dear Mahimutter… Open up an official channel with the SHACOG government. I want to send a personal message to them,” President Kreskov replied to his advisers sternly.

— Begin quote from ____

This is President Zakhari Kreskov of the Laiatanese Federation. Call for your ships to stand down. We pose no threat to Tano. Our carrier group is following my direct orders to intervene on Laiatan’s behalf. We intend to join in on your side. I say again, we are on your side. You are wasting time and resources building up an assault on my ships and country, when in reality we’re fighting the same enemy, Dveria. Please be reasonable. Pull your troops from our border, and allow my ships safe passage through the strait.

— End quote

Hunter was furious, beggining a rant (unusual of him) in the conference room.

“When the only god damn notification you get of someone moving a whole fucking carrier group through closed waters is MEDIA REPORTS, I wouldn’t be surprised when we get jittery.”

“Fuck it, send them a message.”

— Begin quote from ____

[right]
From the Desk of Rob Hunter, President of South Hills,[/right]

President President Zakhari Kreskov,

The proper channels where not made and no attempt was made to contact us before this move, ‘Closed’ means closed, and the naval forces reacted in accordance to policy laid out. We cite your Admirals message when entering the area;

" If you attempt to interfere with our passage, you will be fired upon and destroyed immediately".

SHACOG does not take kindly to threats, President. Do not be surprised when you attempt to move a carrier battlegroup through territorial and closed waters that you run into snags when you fail to notify the controlling government. I am notifying my forces to go to standby while the proper diplomatic channels are conducted for your passage, into that point, please move away from Tano’s Territorial Waters (12nm) and land any fighters.

— End quote

[hr]

“We’ve been notified to standby”

“Very well” replied the Rear Admiral,

“What about there fighters?”

“Waiting to see if they land them, I guess.”

“Fair enough, keep ours scrambled but keep them a respectable distance away from there group. They’ve slowed, so they must be notified of something. Tell the Endeaver to turn off the music, as well.”

— Begin quote from ____

President Hunter,

I sincerely apologize for this. My ships will pull back until we can organize proper passage through the straits. I offer my sincerest apologizes again, and I am glad we could prevent any unnecessary deaths today. I hope that our countries will be able to conduct diplomacy more in depth after this mess is over.

I also trust that you will cease troop movements along our border, as we will be lifting the closure of our border with Tano. In an attempt to reconcile this miscommunication, I would like to formally offer refugee status to Tano citizens wishing to leave the country. They can file for refugee status at the border or nearest Laiatanese consulate.

Regards,

Zakhari Kreskov
President of the Laiatanese Federation

— End quote

Interstate 42, approaching the Tano border

“I told you guys, nobody can g- what?” The soldier paused for a moment, listening to his headset. “Oh, really? Shit that was fast. Alright.” He held up a finger to Vanya and Artyom, walking towards the APCs blocking the highway, motioning for them to clear out. “Go ahead, closure is over.” The soldier quickly made his way back to his APC, climbing in. The armored vehicles left the scene, allowing for traffic to continue.

“That was different,” Artyom said with a small laugh, shaking his head as the two came closer to the border.

Roaming Fleet Bravo, exiting Tano waters

The message got to Admiral Yakovelev quickly, who let go a sigh of relief. “That was too fucking close,” he mumbled to himself. “Turn us around, get us out of Tano waters and back to international waters. We’ll hold there until we’re cleared for passage. Bring our fighters back on board once we’re out of Tano’s waters. Maintain battle stations and countermeasures, just in case.”

The carrier group made a slow, steady turn as it began steaming out of Tano waters.

“All forces, stand down” She sounded kind of dissapointed, but knew it was for the best in avoiding a conflict. Shore batteries powered down as well as the offensive weapons on the 3 ships, who moved out of the way of the travel of the fleet.

"Laiatan Roaming Fleet B, Your passages through the straights has been secured.

We advise you expedite your time in the straights due to roaming Dverian missile attacks."

“That’s it then” she murmured, sitting down in her chair.

“You wanted a conflict?”

“Do we ever get a chance to actually shoot this?” She chuckled, obviously being sarcastic.

“All hands may return to normal duties”

Roaming Fleet Bravo, entering Tano Straits

“Copy that, thank you, and I’m glad we could avoid conflict.”

The fleet powered back up, making its way into the strait at full speed, beginning defensive maneuvers in order to avoid the missile attacks they were warned about. Countermeasures remained up, and everyone was on alert. Admiral Yakovelev sat back in his chair, his breathing finally returning to normal, though he knew they weren’t out of the woods just yet. The fleet took a defensive stance, beginning to enter the strait.

Laiatan-Tano Border

Vanya and Artyom were stopped at the Laiatanese checkpoint along the Laiatan-Tano border, a border patrol agent looking over their documentation.

“Alright, y’all are good. Stay safe you two, don’t go getting killed.”

“Thank you, we’ll try not to,” Vanya replied with a smirk, continuing across the bridge over to the Tano checkpoint. The men were getting closer and closer to their fortune.

Tyee Battlegroup
International Waters North Of Tano

Shortly after Ardeth crossed Reziel’s border, she found a north bound interstate she could follow to the coast. She ran several meters off the side of the interstate by the cover of night to avoid contact until she spotted airvans with The Fourth Imperium’s markings traveling north up the interstate, and she sprinted to the side of the road to flag one down. The vans barely saw her in her non-reflective clothing in the dark of night, but, with her hands flailing to and fro, it was hard to miss her by the time she reached the shoulder of the interstate. One of the vans stopped, and, when she identified herself as a fish speaker, she was immediately allowed in the van. The men in the vans were water seller, and they were, in fact, heading to the coast to collect water to be sold in the Imperium.

Her luck didn’t end there when they gave her a manifest of the equipment they carried with them. They had the diving equipment, including a diver propulsion vehicle (DPV), that she needed, and they had enough spares in their inventory that they were willing to give it to her free of charge. She intended to use some of the more valuable pieces of offense weaponry she brought with her to trade for the equipment she needed when she reached the coast, but, with the equipment she needed, she was able to give the weaponry to these water sellers. When they reached the coast, she was able to use the cover of the water sellers operations to part ways without notice. Once she made it from Reziel’s waters to international water, she was able to surface, and she continued to use the DPV to catch up to the battlegroup.

This is how she found herself in the international waters north of Tano. When the wake of the rear ship in the battlegroup caused the waters she was being propelled through to become choppy, she affixed her rebreather and dove down below the group. She was confidant that any sonors would read her as a large, fast fish, and, in order to reinforce this reading, she moved under the water in the way that a large, fast fish might around much larger seafaring creatures, not the overly confident bee line of a torpedo. When she found herself within about forty meters of the lead vessal, she surface and waited patiently. Luckily, she didn’t have to wait long before she got just what she was waiting for on a silver platter.

A young sailor, probably unable to sleep due to the stress of his first combat deployment, was hanging over the railing of the ship looking down into the water at nothing in particular. She drew her maula pistol, a hand held pistol that used a spring loaded mechanism to fire poison darts, and took aim at the sailor. She fired when he was far enough over the rail that momentum would carry his overboard when he slumped over due to the quick effect of the poison. Like clockwork, he went end over end into the water with a splash. She quickly looked around to see if anyone noticed the noise over the roar of engines in the battlegroup, but, at this time of night, everyone was either asleep or too busy to bother hanging out on the deck of the ship in the dark.

Ardeth retrieved the body and momentarily moved away from the main lanes the battlegroup was moving through. She removed her clothing and tied it off on the DPV before removing the sailor uniform. Once she had his uniform off of him, she used her clothing tied to the DPV to attached his arms and legs to it. Before she put the uniform on, she looked at the rank, and the sailor was a lower enlisted men, just as she suspected. After she put on the sailor’s uniform, she extended her bodkin, a small knife contained in a wrist sheath, and cut her hair short.

With that, she used the bodkin to puncture the compartment that gave the DPV its buoyancy, and, as it filled with water, the DPV and the naked sailor sank to the bottom of the sea.

In the time it took her to perform all this, all by one ship in the battlegroup had passed them by unnoticed, which meant her timing was perfect. She swam up to the rear vessel splashing in the water and screaming at the top of her lungs.

“Help! Help me! Man overboard!”

She even found some floating debris to throw at the hull of the ship. It didn’t take long for a passing crewman to notice and go get help. A spotlight trained itself onto her, and, shortly there after, a life preserve at the end of a rope landed in the water near her. She grabbed the preserver, and the sailors of this ship began to pull her in. As she approached the side of the ship, she couldn’t help but think that this had all been too easy, and, with that all too familiar sinking feeling, she realized it wouldn’t last.

Listening Post/Observation Post Bravo
Listonia Eastern Border

It didn’t take long for Siona to verify that Listonia was mobilizing for war. Troops were already being pulled from the relatively secure eastern border, but what she didn’t know was whether they were assembling on the southwestern border the nation shared with Vekaiyu to conduct a joint operation or whether they were assembling on the northern border for a direct assault of Dveria. In order to find out, she would need air support so she radioed back to The Fourth Imperium on an encrypted channel.

“Command, this is Bravo. Over.”

“This is Command. Go ahead, Bravo. Over.”

“Command, requesting aerial reconnaissance of Listonia’s troop redeployments from their eastern border. Over.”

“Roger that, Bravo. We’ll dispatch a 'Thopter to your location, ASAP. Over.”

“Good copy, Command. Bravo out.”

Now all she could do was wait, but, before she knew it, she hear an ornithopter approaching from the north. It was far too soon for a 'Thopter that came all the way from the Imperium to have arrived, but she supposed that they may have already had assets in the area, that was until it started to bank east away from her and Listonia and into Smigsachenweiz. “That can’t be right,” she thought, and she manned the radio again for clarification.

“Sorry to bother you again so soon, Command, but this is Bravo.”

She heard a barely audible sigh on the other end of the handset, and the same voice as before came over the net saying, “Go ahead, Bravo.”

“Command, I just observed an Imperium 'Thopter approach my location, but it moved away and into Smigsachenweiz airspace. Over,” she replied.

“Roger that, Bravo. That 'Thopter is set for Coocoostan enroute to a diplomatic conference in East Malaysia. Yours is still on the way. Just sit tight.”

“Wilco, Command. Bravo out.”

NGPS Shannon, 143 nmi NNE Tano

The sailors aboard the River-class frigate were somewhat stunned as they hauled up the drenched figure. While an integrated service, females had not yet been allowed upon vessels entering hot zones. A gruff petty officer ordered a seaman to fetch the captain as a medical team began their overview of the rescued woman. One of the corpsmen ran a scanner over the woman’s left forearm, paused and cocked his head to the side, then repeated the gesture. Nothing. Every Grand Pacific serviceman, be it soldier, sailor, airman or marine, had a medical tag and GPS beacon implanted in their left forearm.

“Welcome aboard.” The captain arrived on the fantail. A pair of marines flanked him, carbines shouldered at the ready.

Joint Operations Center

Admiral Ti’Lo laid out the plan on the digitalized table, showcasing the invasion plans for Dveria;

He waited for it to finish loading, before proceeding.

“1 Infantry Division, lead by General Shran, will land here and push up to meet up our troops on the front who will be pushing down, Once they’ve linked up, they’re both push south.” His hand was following his words on the map.

“22 Armored, with General Jackson at the helm, will push into the northern plains of Dveria, capturing supplies and cities. Airfields will be a priority.”

“34 Armored with General Orlando, will cut the country in two; cutting the north from the south.”

“The main force, 56 Infantry and 35 Armor, lead by Brigadier General Archer, will push into south Dveria, with goals of linking with 101AB which will be hauled up in the Capital, Nugalu, where 101AB will be relieved. They will then push south into they link up with the Vekaiyan forces there.”

“Total time from initiation to completion should be no more then 3 days. Speed is key here, understood?”

“Yes, sir!” echoed from the room, and the junior officers left to lead there respective divisions.

“Mission code launch word is IRENE.”

[hr]

Several hours later, SHS Baldwin, Gulf of Itur by Dverian Coastline.

“Irene, I say again, Irene.” The radio echoed from the officers radio, echoeing into the landing craft.

“IRENE!” shouted a excited Specialist; “Motherfucking Irene!”

A shadowy figure moved down the catwalk above them, who then was recognized as General Archer;

“Remember folks, Be careful, No one gets left behind!” He went down a bit more before saying the same line to the next landing craft, and on he went.

Private First Class Jenkins, fresh in from Basic, looked at his Sergeant; Anderson, who appeared worried.

“Whats wrong, sergeant?”

“Oh, nothing, just he’s never done that before” referring to Archer.

“Fuck!” shouted a Corporal nearby, now aware that the general understood the danger of the mission.

A loud lurching was heard as the rear door of the Baldwin opened up, flooding the bay with water for various landing craft, LCAC’s, and APC’s to move to the beach.

“Hold on to somethin’!” shouted the landing crafts driver, as the surge of water caused landing craft to bump in to eachover before it stabilized. “Out we go!” The landing craft fell silent as they moved out of the apparent safety of the Baldwin, and moved out to the beach. It was awe inspiring; at least 20 ships where visible of various kinds, jets, helicopters, the whole 9 yards. Sergeant Anderson, a 12 year vet, said he had never seen something so massive, even in Babiana and the Ellis campaigns.

“30 seconds!” the driver of the landing craft yelled, and marines in the boat loaded magazines into there weapons.

“20 Seconds!” he repeated,

“Try not to get shot running away” his Sergeant, Anderson, a combat veteran chuckled.

“Yeah, got it.”

“5 seconds!..Doors opening!” The doors opened on the landing craft, to a hail of incoming machinegunfire.

“Jesus christ-…!” shouted the private, moving into the fire to get out of the landing craft; He spotted a Dverian tank just up the beach!

“TAAANNK!” He dove into a ditch just out of the landing craft on the beach, and Anderson joined him and singled the squad to move over here.

“Not for long!” shouted a Private, looking up at a South Hills F/A-357, firing a missile at the tank and blowing it up.

“MOVE UP THE BEACH!” shouted the companies Captain, and they moved into and began securing the village at the head of the beach.

[hr]

Transport Aircraft, Dverian Airspace near Nugalu.

“Irene, I say again, Irene.”, the pilot had set up the C&C radio to play through the aircraft, to keep the paratroopers informed.

“Showtime, folks!” The doors of the plane popped open, revealing the burning city below; both SHACOG and Vekaiyan aircraft had all but bombed the city to ruin.

“GO GO GO GO!” One by one, the paratroopers, like thousands others in other aircraft, jumped, and after a short descent landed in various places in the city, They where instructed to take key government complexes and hold them for a day or so before the Marines arrive to relieve them.

The Sultan briefly wondered if Tano was being invaded because they didn’t give out enough tea and watches to the other nations.

that’s the extent of my participation in this thread folks. Have fun decimating me :stuck_out_tongue: