Viscaline

Federal Militia Command Centre, Aelitia City, President’s District

“… and for Regional News, we will offer you the newest developments in the Tano Straits.” The television cut to a mute commercial, and the room lit up again with a flurry of movement. Senior Aelitian military officials clustered around a long table while assistants rushed communiques around the large control room.

“This is shameful,” ranted the astute Militia Commander of Atlea, Veronique Repmann, “our Region is in turmoil and we are here watching the 7 o’clock news for the ‘breaking updates’! Our intelligence is in a disgraceful state if this is what we have to rely on!” A tide of voices rose, the Provincial Militia Commanders breaking into hot debate over whose responsibility intelligence was. The roar was only broken by the end of the commercial break.

“According to our latest update, a Laiatanese naval fleet approaches a small contingent of South Hills vessels in the Tano Straits. There have been reports that both sides have their weapons primed and their fingers on the trigger.” The reporter turned her head dramatically, “Many sightings of jet fighters have been confirmed just outside of combat range, but their allegiance is still unknown.” Another angle change. “And to come, why you should be worried about the Aelitian Fridge Owl outbreak.”

“This is ridiculous.” Exclaimed Veronique, “Any of these combatants could have had the area lit up by now, and we wouldn’t know until tomorrow! We need more pressure on the Trustees and Governors for Intel funding because we cannot be expected to function as a modern armed forces while relying on Aelitian News Network!” The door swished open behind her and the other Commanders faces immediately went red, the room quiet.

“You are quite right, Veronique.” she recognized the voice as the Minister of Defense, Jason Toulouse. A short middle aged man with narrow eyes and a rounded face, he was the antithesis of a Military official but worked quite diligently toward modernization. “Which is exactly why we cannot bother the Trustees with this. They cannot know quite how disjointed our Forces are, but now they will not have to know.” Jason’s gaze met confused faces, he smirked and continued. “His Most Extreme Highness, the President has taken over the Armed Forces and has assigned an Inquirer to deal with our inefficiencies.” The Commanders exclaimed at this, the Minister taking the brunt of it.

“How could you let this happen?!”

“I assure you, I had no choice in the matter. This was all done in the President’s Council, but I can also assure you that with Presidential attention comes State capital.” The Minister shrugged with this and promptly excused himself before another shouting match could erupt.

[hr]

Council Chambers, Aelitia City, President’s District

A gavel pounding silences the board members seated at the round table, and the Chair calls out attendance. Trustees, military officers, and citizen experts filled the list.

“Our first order of business as suggested by the Inquirer is the nationalization of the Provincial Militias. Are there any objections to this policy?” The Chair glanced quickly around the table. “Seeing none, this policy hereby has Board approval and will be sent to the President’s Council for drafting. The second order of business is regarding the events taking place in the Tano straits. The Inquirer suggests this Board consider declaring this an emergency and thereby defer its power to the President. Are there any objections to this declaration?” Another quick glance. “Seeing none, a state of emergency is hereby declared, and this board is dismissed.” A bang of the gavel and the indifferent board members filter out of the room.

[hr]

— Begin quote from ____

STATE OF EMERGENCY DECLARED
PRESIDENT TO RESPOND TO EVENTS IN TANO STRAITS

Quickly following the inaugural meeting of the Inquiry Board on Defence, a State of Emergency has been declared regarding the military happenings in the Tano Straits. The State defers military decisions to the President and the Governors.

The Prime Minister and Minister of Defence have yet to speak on the matter, but some backbench Trustees have hinted that they are in support of the President.
“This is a logical course of action,” commented Tony Wong, a Trustee from Cathalis. “such an emergency should prompt quick responses from our leadership and our Armed Forces. It is no secret this has been a problem in the past, and citizens should be proud that their government has remedied that.”

It is expected that the President’s Office will be reaching out to our Regional partners in this matter.

— End quote

Kral Commodore Yamano Nevikalu picked up the phone. He hated to call Vil Commodore Yiisu Iskaristre, but he needed an update on his positions. At least the Listonians were more prompt with the updates.

“Iskaristre? Position update.”

“We’re about 50 miles into Dveria. Not really going as fast as we had hoped. 'bout 10 miles outside of Uskalogu. Just doing a general encircle, but I feel they might escape before we close the pocket. Town’s worth nothing to me really. They’re just really dug in over here. You?”

“We’ve secured four bridgeheads on the Istoli River. We rushed in to grab them, but now we’re just waiting on air support to smoke them out before advancing.”

“I really just want to gas them and be done with it.”

“I’m not for killing innocent civilians,” Nevikalu remarked, pausing to wait out a loud blast in the distance. “But yeah. Would save a lot of lives I think.”

“You know, Yamano, we’re not that far off, you and I.”

“We’re night and day, pal.”

Iskaristre laughed. “Look. Ikrisia’s not happy with us. And we can’t afford to plow our armies into their divisions - we’ll lose too many men. We don’t have anymore prison divisions to march out - at least I don’t. And throwing the Listonians to the front of the fray doesn’t make us look good either. Looks like the only solution is to play some of those cards if you know what I mean.”

“No dice.”

“Alright. Well, we’ll talk this over later, I guess. Let me know if you change your tune - I’m sure it will once those numbers start to pile up. Over and out.”

Juliet 6-4, southern Dveria

“I’m pretty sure our mission is to ‘support advancing ground forces’, Riley” He chuckled, looking back at the Navigator/Gunner in the F/A-357

“We’re getting to that, hold on” She moved binocilurs to her head, studieing the terrain around them

“…Vekaiyan?” referring to a formation of tanks to they’re right.

“Looks so”

She turned her head, spotting a firefight in the distance, Dverian tanks on the north side of the river against Vekaiyan tanks on the south.

“Let’s lend them a hand then, make our presence known.” She chuckled, and the pilot knew what to do.

The plane made a turn, diving down to near treetop level, it made a sharp bank over the Vekaiyan tanks, dropping a 2000 pound GBU bomb over the Dverian tanks, appearing to destroy a few.

“Good for me, let’s get out of here”

BGP Aid Arrives in Tano
Aid flows into the Naju camp in northeastern Tano, where the WA says conditions are rapidly deteriorating. Security concerns cited.

(AP) Naju Camp, Tano - It is a scene of escalating tragedy - a host of men, women and children stretching nearly as far as the eye can see flow north from the war-torn Dverian frontier. This harrowing scene was the queue for aid at a BGP distribution point. Various BGP-based charities and relief agencies have so far distributed rations in the Tanoan camp, home to approximately 72,000 people. “They have suffered enough,” cited spokeman, Steven Kelso.

Elements of the 1st Marines and Third Legion have arrived to improve the security conditions. All told, the Grand Pacific has deployed assets close to five thousand troops, eighteen light tanks, over two hundred combat vehicles, eighteen helicopters, and multiple field and air defense artillery systems. Medical aid is being provided by a pair of 54-bed support hospitals, but it isn’t enough to stem the crisis.

BGP has also deployed a pair of carrier battlegroups north of the Tano Straits, built around Hyas Tyee and Ranger. Tasked with enforcing a no-fly zone over northern Tano in conjunction with SHACOG forces, and ensuring no further incidents occur in the economically vital waters surrounding the straits.

Marcus Sydney, Governor-general of the Grand Pacific, reinforced his commitment to helping the Tanoan people and personally condemned Dveria’s unprovoked acts of aggression for the second time in as many weeks.

[edit] to mention SHACOG partnership

“So, are the reports I’ve been hearing over the lines true?”

“What reports?”

“Don’t be coy with me, Yiisu. You know what I’m talking about.”

24 hours ago, Kral Commodore Yamano Nevikalu was hunkered down in a makeshift command center in an inauspicious location somewhere near the Istoli River. Now that is but a memory - he’s almost 155 miles from the location. The good progress wasn’t a fluke; rather, with the unannounced assistance by South Hills combined with the favorable weather for air support and few natural barriers in the way, his army had little problem advancing in the steppe. Resistance was, so far, brushed aside, but reports indicated the Dverians were regrouping. Still, it was success. Good enough to report back to Eldura.

But it wasn’t all wonderful. In addition to loses, he had to hear about the apparent barbarian behavior performed by Iskaristre’s command. Decapitations. Eyes gouged out with toothpicks in order to gain intel. Whole towns razed to the ground with little regard to troop versus civilian. Normally he’d feel compelled to look the other way. But people have a funny way of remembering atrocities.

“I really don’t. I’m not good with games.”

“Your guys are killing civilians. That’s not going to cut it.”

“It produces results, Yamano. What did you do when we dug in a few months ago.”

“Trained men. Regrouped. Strategized. What’s your point?”

“Well I found a good motivator. See, you know what this war is about. You know it’s not about grabbing land. It’s not about displaying agression in some pissing contest. No, it’s all about history. Thousands of years these two nations have hated one another for whatever reason. That’s what keeps this war alive. That’s why the Kivreskov has been quiet during this whole offensive.”

“Alright. So?”

“So, let that motivate the troops. Give them books to read. Let them watch films. Bring in first-hand accounts. And use the Listonians with what they’re good at. Those people fought for hundreds of years under these guys. They more than anyone else know how to sabotage Dverians. So, ship them behind enemy lines and let them do their business.”

“That’s all fine and dandy. Do it to their troops. Not citizens.”

“Not my problem,” Iskaristre dismissed. “I have results. That’s all that matters. Plus, less P.O.W.'s means less resources need to be used. Just let the lesser divisions mop up the remnants.”

“You’re pissing me off, Vil Commodore.”

“It’s a race to the capital, Nevikalu. We’ve got bigger things to worry about now. We can argue tactics later.”

NGPS Shannon
North Of The Tano Straights

“I cut off all my hair for nothing,” Ardeth thought as she stared down the barrel of the Marines’ carbines. The thought reminded her of the bodkin she still carried in her wrist sheath, and she couldn’t help but think how easy it would have been to kill that corpsman that scanned her arm earlier. However, that probably wouldn’t have helped her much in her current predicament, but she knew what would. She popped a ‘knuckle’ in one of her false toes that would activate the tracking beacon implanted within it. Satisfied that help, in one form or another, would soon be on the way, she focused back on the matter at hand.

“Good evening, Captain.”

Listening Post/Observation Post Charlie
Tano East Border

Nayla was observing troop movements in East Tano when she noticed a light blinking in the background. Her equipment had detected a tracking signal, but, when she examined the grid coordinates, they didn’t make any sense. The signal originated north of the Tano Straights, but The Fourth Imperium didn’t have a navy, land locked desert that it was. She knew that could only mean one thing, someone that had ships stationed north of the Strights had captured one of her cohorts. She radioed in immediately.

Leto’s Citadel
The Sareer

Malky entered the God-Emperor’s citadel, and Leto turned to greet him.

“Hello, Malky. Unfortunate business with my priestess, yes,” he said knowingly.

“Yes, My Lord,” Malky replied. “How would you like to proceed?”

“Send Eye Corps to receive her,” Leto spoke with a sense of finality, but Malky protested.

“But, My Lord, a third of our army to retrieve one woman!”

“She’s not just any woman, Malky. She’s the priestess of one of the most ancient temples in all of The Fourth Imperium, and her captors better hope they are informed of that because, if they touch a hair on her shigawire covered head, I’ll send the whole army!” The walls of the Citadel began to shake with his anger, but Malky was used to weathering it. He was even able to temper it, if Leto proved amenable. “The recovery isn’t likely to be so simple, My Lord. Our observer at LP/OP Charlie is reporting that elements of British Grand Pacific’s 1[sup]st[/sup] Marine and Third Legion are stationed at Naju Camp, and they’re not going to take 90,000 Fish Speakers crossing the border on their right flank very lightly.”

Leto sighed. It was times like these that he wished Duncan wasn’t dispatched to that diplomatic conference in East Malaysia. “Well, Malky, don’t send all three legions across the border on their flank. Send one from the right, another from the south, and hold the other in reserve. BGP will take it better when they’re outflanked.”

“But, Leto, SHACOG and Vekaiyan forces are already operating in south of Tano in Dveria!” Malky was possibly the only person in The Fourth Imperium that could talk back to the God-Emperor not only but twice in the same conversation, and he was probably the only person in the Imperium that could call him by his birth name.

“The Second Legion can cross Tano’s southern border from Sevropia, but order them not to cross the border into Dveria. Hold the Third Legion in ‘reserve’ on Listonia’s eastern border just in case the Vekaiyan’s decide to cross the border to engage our troops in Sevropia. Send the First Air Force to help.”

“Yes, My Lord.”

Listening Post/Observation Post Bravo
Listonia East Border

Siona watched the Imperium 'Thopter conduct its aerial reconnaissance over Listonia, but, when it concluded its reconnaissance, it didn’t radio in its report. It came in for a landing. She approached it once it touched down.

“Why didn’t you just transmit your report over the radio,” she shouted over the noise of the 'Thopter powering down.

“Because we have more than troop movements to report,” the pilot shouted back. Siona looked back at him slightly confused. “First things first, Listonia’s troop assembled on their northern border and Veikaiyan and Listonian troops have already crossed the border into Dveria. As you reported, this has left Listonia’s defenses weakened.”

“What else did you have to report,” she asked.

After a brief pause, the pilot continued, “The God-Emperor is deploying the Third Legion of Eye Corps here to…take advantage of those weaknesses, if necessary.”

Somewhat stunned, Siona replied, “V-very well.” With that, the pilot powered the 'Thopter back up and flew away.

• Airport of Ye’lek, Listonia, 09:00 local time -

Leaning against the old truck she had helped loading all morning, Maria Lamel took a breather and lighted a cigarette. All her muscles were aching from loading all those crates. The first one today, while she had been up for hours. A good start of the day. Now that the rented 2 trucks were fully loaded with all medicine, clothes and canned food they could have stuffed in the transport plane, they were only waiting for additional information before leaving again.

While she had done this before, Maria was worried. It was the first time she was so far from home. Her previous mission, in District 58, after the invasion of Prussian troops and the minor conflict that had taken place, was at least not too far from the home land. What’s more, the Anglesey AFN (Aid for Need) organization, a Bachtendekuppen NGO, had never operated on the Western main continent. She sure hoped that the bosses knew what they were doing.

“Hey! Maria!”

She turned to back of the truck and saw Lucas, her colleague, stepping out from behind the front of the truck, satellite phone in hand.

“Get ready, we’re about to move,” he continued, before swiftly adding “don’t get too excited though, we’re still to hear from officials near the Dverian border. The AFN office has informed me that we can start driving to the city of Yui, near the border with Dveria, but we’re not to cross yet.”

Maria quickly drew on her cigarette while mumbling that “she had one tiny break”.

Lucas, an energetic force of nature in his own right, gave a small amused smile while nodding to Rik, the driver for the second truck, to make sure he got moving as well. She sure loved those cigarettes and mercy on the soul of whomever that would ever take it away. If that was what it took her to deal with the stress, so be it. His team, his rules. He had been with the AFN long enough to know that people dealt with it in many different ways.

“Come on now! Let’s go!”

Northern Dveria, near the Tano border

Laiatanese troops were finally on the ground, the carrier group* finally in its position as directed by the central military headquarters. Helicopters were flying from the three amphibious assault ships attached to the group. Naval fighters were launched from the Vladislav Vasilyev to attack targets radioed in from the troops on the ground. Landing craft and infantry fighting vehicles were also launched from the assault ships, moving quickly to secure a beachhead.

The other five amphibious assault ships a part of the active Laiatanese fleet, filled to their capacity with soldiers, reportedly left its home port in Paniki, Vostpo, defended by several frigates to join the current invasion by Laiatanese forces. With 900 soldiers in each assault ship, the total number of troops estimated to be brought into the town would initially be 7,200. The military’s high command wanted to bring in an additional 20,000 troops to help expand Laiatan’s zone of control.

The port town was somewhat small, and would provide an excellent jumping off point for Laiatanese forces to seize a nearby airport to allow for a much larger force to be brought into the country. Bombers from bases in Laiatan assisted with the initial invasion, and by the end of the day a solid beachhead had been established. The initial 2,700 troops had managed to secure most of the docks and several buildings deep into the town. Thanks to the heavy air support, the invasion force managed to push in a few more blocks before digging in, waiting for the next wave of troops to arrive.

Exchanges of gunfire continued between the Laiatanese and Dverian forces, explosions rocking the landscape as the planes supported their comrades on the ground.

Situation Room, Presidential House, South Hills

“So, what do we got?”

“Our sources in Sevropia are indicating a massive movement of troops, sir. I wouldn’t be surprised if we find more build ups along the Tano border. We are repositioning our satellites now, the orbit should be inclined to get shots of the area soon. We are also getting UAV’s in the area.”

“Good, I’ve just been off with Kreskov, I’ve given permission to Laitan to pass troops through Tano to get to Dveria, but i’ll use the same ‘back channels’ to notify him of the developments to the east.”

“Aye, sir.”

“And keep this off-the-record with the media for as long as possible”

“Understood, sir”

“We are within firing range of the capital, milady,” Nevikalu informed as he tried to get into a corner of the shell of a building without as much noise as possible. “Only about seventy miles out. My guess is the greatest concentration of fighting will occur there. I know we’ve been pushing on one division since the evening, and more are probably protecting the capital. And that’s just the military. No doubt those citizens will be just as mad.”

“Do not fear total annihilation of the enemy, Nevikalu,” Levinile said from the other line. “Fight building-by-building if you must, but I want to see the Vekaiyun flag over that palace. Indeed it is more symbolic than strategic, but it should be done. Level anything that puts up a resistance.”

“And Iskaristre?”

“He informed me he is approaching the capital from the right. But his men are offered no respite. I suggest you do the same.”

“Ma’am, my men need rest. They’ve been on the move all day today.”

“Then I suppose I will hear the clarion call from Iksaristre and his men. Remember, Nevikalu. This is redemption. For our nation and for your namesake.”

“Negative, ma’am. I’m here on the front lines. Iskaristre’s too reckless with his command. He’s going to march his men alone. If you want to see that flag tonight, I’ll call in my paratroopers. I don’t need to put my men through a sawmill to make a symbol.”

There was a long pause. “Very well. I am upping the ante. Whoever’s group reaches the top of Nugala Palace will win their commander the right to the Kral Commodore position.”

“Ma’am I think that’s unnecessary. Iskaristre isn’t half the guy I am. Plus I earned that position. Iskaristre burns everything he touches.”

“Well, prove it, Kral Commodore. Our military is dynamic. All good forces are dynamic - always seeking ways to improve. And if an improvement is determined, I will not hesitate to act upon it. Let’s hope your faith in your paratroopers motivate them to victory, Nevikalu.”

As the dial tone went dead on the other end, Nevikalu bit his lip. He quickly dialed another number. “Yeah. Kral Commodore Nevikalu. Yeah. Send in a bombing raid. At the tail end of the raid, float paratroopers over the Nugala Palace. Eh? As many as you can muster. Vekaiyun, Listonian, whatever. I want this to be the biggest raid the continent has ever seen. You have three hours, Eil Commodore. Do it or you’re on the out.”

The port town and airport was finally under total control of the Laiatanese military, and reinforcements had arrived via air and amphibious assault ship. Tanks began arriving with the ships, the port town becoming a staging area for a breakout attack. The Laiatanese flag flew high above the town, soldiers relocating and rejoining their fireteams and divisions. Orders received from high command indicated that the breakout attack was to start in just a few hours.

To the north, thousands of Laiatanese troops and armor units were crossing the border of Tano in order to fight against the Dverian advances, as well as meet up with the forces currently inside Dveria. Transport aircraft were flying straight from Laiatan into the airfield currently controlled by the Laiatanese military, bringing in large numbers of soldiers and military equipment for the breakout attack. Fighters maintained control of the airspace and began branching out, assisting allied units whenever they could. Bombers removed large concentrations of Dverian forces, preparing the area for the attack.

Forward cavalry units began engaging Dverian troops just outside of the city, taking recon of the area.

NGPS Shannon

The XO sank into a chair in the wardroom, giving his short-cropped hair a rustle in effort to energize himself. “That’s one cold fish, Skipper. No name, no story, no response to the Keyhole sat photos of troop movement along the western Sevropian frontier. If she’s involved in anything beyond Seaman Kort, she won’t admit to it.”

“COMDEXFLT wants her transferred to the mainland and I couldn’t agree more.” The Captain took a drink of coffee.

“Aye, sir.”

Gannet 8
Transmission 37 minutes into flight to mainland

<<Gannet 8, Shannon, I have a slight vibration in the pedals. Course [inaudible].

<<Shannon, I’m getting a lot of movement in these pedals. Master alarm sounding. We…[inaudible]

<<Gannet 8 is going down. Gannet 8 is going in hard.

Victoria, BGP

“Sir, 1st Marines Expeditionary Unit is fully deployed. That’s twenty-two hundred Marines, close to one hundred vehicles of all types, a battery of 155mm, and thirty aircraft from 36th Marine Air Wing.”

“Very good,” Marcus Sydney replied, eyes again glues to the strategic layout of the situation room wall. “What about the 3rd?”

“Completing its deployment as we speak. All told, ten thousand six hundred personnel, five hundred plus armored vehicles, including forty light tanks, four batteries of 155mm, seventy-two helicopters.” The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs anticipated the Governor-general’s next question. “The 501st Fighter Wing is operating three squadrons of F4 Areion fighters out of Tano’s main airport.”

“What’s our take on the latest satellite images?” Sydney’s gaze fell upon the intelligence director.

“It’s a substantial force, sir. On scale with the Dverian invasion force. We have little information on the Fourth Imperium or why they’d muster in the central Yasterian wilderness, let alone march on Sevropia.”

“Could it be linked to our guest in the Tanoan Straits?”

“Perhaps. Eighteens hours of questioning…” The director’s voice trailed off as an aid hands him a note. "Mr. Governor, the helicopter transporting the prisoner to SHACOG headquarters in Tano crashed thirty-eight minutes into its flight. CSAR teams have deployed from both Hyas Tyee and Ranger.

Kings Memorial Bridge, Nugalu, Dveria.

“Get on the fucking MG!” shouted Lt. Reeve, pointing over to a group of paratroopers to get back on the machinegun as a medic pulled away the fatally shot gunner.

“Sir, we’re being surrounded!” shouted a sergeant approaching his position

“Good, then you can shoot in all directions” He paused a second, noticing the cheesyness of his remark. “We have nowhere to retreat too, Sergeant. We hold into the armor arrives or die trying.”

“But si-…” A loud explosion rocked the ground nearby his explosion, and the Lieutenant pulled his sub-ordinate into a nearby foxhole.

“Tank! 12 o clock on the road!” shouted a nearby soldier

“Take it out!”

“We’ve been out of fucking rockets for a half hour, just they aren’t finding that out into now!”

“Fuckin–.” A shell rocketed over his head, hitting the Dverian tank in the lower mantle and sending it into a fireball.

“What the fuck was that?”

“Sir! Vekaiyan tanks approaching from the south!”

“About fucking time, open the roadblocks up, I expect they’ll be in a hurry.”

Several paratroops moved out, and began opening up the bridge to the oncoming Vekaiyan tanks, with a soldier waving both arms at the oncoming tanks to indicate friendlies where ahead.

“Let’s hope they don’t get the wrong message then” said the Lieutenant,

“Wheres the radio man?”

“Dead, sir”

“Well fucking find his radio!”

Ikrisia watched with anticipation with a collection - probably hundreds - of generals in a rather common command relay center in Vekaiyu. Seeing as this particular command center was typically used for sea movements, it was relatively inactive, save for a few shelving some of the workload to coordinate the attack on Nugala.

The respite gave them a prime opportunity to listen in as the attack culminated.

She smirked when she realized her plan had worked perfectly. Pitting the two commodores against one another was finally coming to fruition. While there were struggles initially, it quickly evolved into a competition. Even more so, since the styles of the two men differed, it allowed her to see exactly what tactics were working and which weren’t - essential information for future campaigns.

It was she who, upon talking to Kral Commodore Nevikalu, immediately called Vil Commodore Iskaristre to inform him of his rival’s plans. This naturally caused the jealous man to employ every inactive Listonian and Vekaiyun airfield not soaked up by Nevikalu’s forces and call them to action. The result was no less than 180 fighter crafts striking strategic locations in the city - some of which struck the Nugalan Palace at near point-blank distance. Bombers were less descriminant, naturally, but still cleared a path for escorted cargo planes to drop thousands of paratroopers onto the city. Sure, some were shot out of the sky, some landed in undesirable locations, and some inadvertantly landed right into the Nivur River. But most hit their intended landing spot. For those that landed, the battle was not over. Not only would they be charged with a symbolic moment, but they would have to continue fighting until one of the flanking Vekaiyun divisions relieved them.

Ikrisia and others watched from the footage set up by a few landing Vekaiyuns, aiming the device at the palace in anticipation. Inevitably the camera caught some of the ground fighting. Some were shocked and dismayed to see some Vekaiyuns fighting each other, but Ikrisia knew better: this was more than a symbol, this was a chance at glory. Plus, the feed would be edited later for the public, of course.

After about eighteen minutes of explosions, firestorms, random gunfights and even some unidentified men jumping from the building (or pushed out / thrown out - it was kind of hard to tell), a group of about five Vekaiyuns broke from the roof and dashed to the top. After carefully scaling the low-rise dome, they removed the Dverian flag and planted the Vekaiyun flag atop the building. It stood proudly amidst the wind, fire, and smoke choking the night sky.

A cacophony of cheers and jubilation erupted from within the confines. Ikrisia was quick to identify the company the soldiers were in as the camera zoomed in on the flag. Yet she stopped herself with the celebrating seemed to get out of hand.

“Do not welcome this new age yet,” she said with a smile as the noise began to die down. She made her way to the front of the room. “We are not done here. Be cognizant of that. There is a greater plan at work here, and we will see it come to fruition. Now, back to work.”

She retired to a smaller room off to the side and quickly dialed a number. “Good evening, Yamano Nevikalu. I am informing you that you have retained your job for now. I want that city, Kral Commodore. Inform Iskaristre that divisions not within city limits are to continue their trek north in an attempt to squeeze the life out of the nation. They may cease when they reach a foreign army. That is all.”

East Listonia Border

After a relatively short period of time, Siona finally saw what she had been anticipating, even dreading, troop carriers on the horizon. By the looks of it, there were approximately 100, each of which held approximately 300 fish speakers. There were 30,000 Fish Speakers all told, a standard Imperial legion. After each carrier ex-filled their troop complements, they turned around and headed back to The Fourth Imperium to repeat the process elsewhere on the continent. The fish speakers began to get into formation as the Caid, the Legion’s commanding officer, approached Siona. When she was close enough for her to see the rank her helmet signified, she saw she was of sufficient rank to rule a subdistrict, and, in this situation, there was only one subdistrict to potentially rule, Listonia.

“Status report, Levenbrech Atreides,” she ordered.

“Ma’am, Listonia keeps redeploying troops from the border into Dveria. They’re practically defenseless, at this point. Also, a transport plane bearing Anglesey AFN markings was spotted landing at Ye’lek’s airport.”

“From Bachtendekuppen?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Interesting. Very interesting. Anything else to report, Levenbrech?”

“No, ma’am.”

“Very well then. Our orders are to standby to support the remainder of Eye Corps, if necessary.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Siona had the feeling that her quiet LP/OP wasn’t going to be so quiet anymore.

Listening Post/Observation Post Charlie
East Tano Border

Two hundred troop carriers holding 60,000 fish speakers, two Imperial legions, landed at LP/OP Charlie, and the black helmet of the Burseg, the Corps commander, stuck out in the gaggle like a sore thumb. Nayla made her way to her, and, as she neared, the Burseg turned to shout a command when Nayla caught her eye. She stopped shouting mid-sentence to speak with her.

“Levenbrech N…,” she began before Nayla cut her off.

“Come now, Burseg, certainly it’s just Nayla to you.”

“Quite right, Just Nayla,” she said with a wink and a nudge. “What’s the situation,” she asked, getting back to the business at hand.

“Laiatan is advancing a few thousand infantry troops with armor support north from Dveria into Tano, but that’s inconsequential compared to the troops, armor and artillery BGP deployed, which more than doubled their strength since the last report. However, we still have them outnumbered nearly four to one.”

“Very good then,” she said before being interrupted again.

“One more thing. The signal the tracking beacon was transmitting moved several miles from its previous position in the Straights toward the mainland before it suddenly…Stopped transmitting.”

“Oh, well, I see. I suppose we had better get looking for the priestess then, yes,” she said before turning to address her troops, all of whom had managed to get into formation in record time.

“Second Legion, you are to standby here until you receive orders from me personally to cross the border into Tano,” she shouted. “First Legion, you are to going to be the maneuvering element. I will be travelling with you. We are going to cross the border into Sevropia south of this position and advance north until we reach the northern border with Tano,” she yelled. “When we reach Tano’s border, I will signal First Legion, and we’ll advance on Naju Camp in a classic pincer maneuver. Caids, take charge of your legions!”

“It’s a real shame you have to go so soon,” Nayla said to remind the Burseg that she was still there with her.

“Yes, pity,” the Burseg responded, “but duty calls.” With that, the First Legion began to march south down the Sevropian border, and the Second set up camp.

What’s Left Of Gannon 8
Somewhere between the NGPS Shannon and Tano’s mainland

Ardeth came to with the smell of twisted, burning wreckage in her nostrils and the heat of flames on her face, but there was only one thought that she could form into any coherent words under the circumstances.

“What the actual fuck?”

Northern Dveria
Laiatanese breakout attack

The fighting was fierce between the breaking out Laiatanese Naval Infantry and defending Dverian forces, but the Naval Infantry had the upper hand thanks to the superior air support and advancing Army units. Armored columns from the East Military District had finally arrived, crushing through Dverian lines to assist their surrounded comrades. Artillery units pummeled towns as the tens of thousands of Laiatanese soldiers pushed south from Tano, supported by the Air Force and Naval fighters.

High command ordered an additional 50,000 troops to be moved into Dveria through Tano, as well as by air and sea to bolster the Laiatanese lines, strengthening the country’s position within Dveria. This plan was already being put into action, Air Force transport planes landing troops on captured airfields and directly paradropping them into combat zones. The amphibious assault ships had already returned to Laiatan, and were being filled with more troops and armored vehicles.

Attack helicopters provided air support in areas where the fixed wing aircraft were unable to support due to the threat of being stretched too thin. They moved quickly with the armor, a few being shot down by anti-air defenses, though the probability of rescue was high due to the following infantry carriers. Further behind the assault were combat search and rescue teams who waited for casualties to be radioed in by the advancing units whenever a tank or APC was hit.

Mahihaus Situation Room, Volkgoroda, Laiatan

“We’re seizing control of large portions of northern Dveria thanks to the additional Army and Air Force support the Naval Infantry’s been receiving as they spread out from Sumter, other smaller towns are falling quickly due to their lack of defenses - and we’ve isolated four major cities from the rest of the country. Our artillery and airpower is blowing them back into the Stone Age, infantry’s making a slow crawl through all of them,” General Lagunov began, showing a few key areas on the map.

“The 50,000 soldiers we’ve called up are positioning themselves here in country, and we’ve got about 15,000 ready to send now. Reports also indicate that Vekaiyu has seized the capitol, therefore we need to focus on grabbing as much territory in the north as possible. We recommend calling up another 25,000 troops from other districts to really help us stabilize our lines. We’ll have about 100,000 troops in Dveria if you approve the additional transfer, Herr President.”

“Intelligence also shows massive troops movements near the eastern Tano border, and we’re unsure of their allegiance at this moment. Possible the unknowns could be readying for an assault on Tano due to its weakness. These are rough guesses at the moment, we’ll get more information to you when we can,” Secretary of Defense Avksentiy Utkin added, passing a few papers down the table to the president.

President Kreskov took the papers, looking them over, resting his head in his hand. “Thirty five. Mobilize an additional 35,000. Twenty five thousand to assist with the advance, 10,000 to remain near the Tano border after going into Dveria to help sweep up the Dverian advance and to help push back if the ‘unknowns’, as you called them, decide to go in. Puts us at what? Thirty five in the initial invasion, fifty in this next bolster move, then an additional thirty five… hundred twenty thousand? Sounds about right,” Kreskov said, shutting the folder. “Alright, that’s all from me. You know what to do.”

Kreskov stood, grabbing his folder and walked out of the Situation Room. As soon as he left, everything went into motion.

“One hundred twenty thousand troops… Almost twice the size of the Rygard invasion.” Kreskov thought to himself, heading back to his office.

Ellis Convention Center, Matthews, Ellis Islands, South Hills.

The speech was fiery to say the least, with President Hunter calling upon citizens to re-elect him in elections later this year, as well as praising Matthews for its rapid size and economic gain since joining the Council, but it wasnt very long; Hunter wasnt known for someone to deliver 3 hour rants of speeches, short, sweet, and to the point.

He exited the convention centers balcony with a wave from the podium, and walked off stage.

“What do we got now?”

“The plane is waiting to take us back to the house in Elizabeth, from there we pick up on a war-room briefing” replied an advisor,

“Very well, Will Sgt. Slaughter please tell me the details on Dveria?” ‘Sergeant Slaughter’ was the nickname the President had jokingly established for Cpt. Ju’lom, a Vulpine army officer assigned as the President’s military advisor. He had a briefcase that contained the launch codes for the nations nuclear arsenal; He didin’t like the image problem a military officer tailing him everywhere brought, but law required the codes to be within arms reach of the President during times of war or emergency.

“The Vekaiyans took the capital about a hour ago, as planned. We’re be linking up with leading Laitenese units within the hour and paratroopers in Nugalu have already linked with Vekaiyan advanced units.”

“Good, anything else?” The group of men with the president in the middle was now exiting the conference center, and walking down a flight of stairs with a crowd flanking either side; the President was quick to wave and shake hands with the crowd, but a Government Protective Service (GPS) agent pulled him away, concerned.

“Theres been a bomb threat in the convention center, We need to move now Mr. President”

“Very well”

The agents began rushing him to the limo as a horde of police officers and agents began moving to secure the Convention Center, when ontop of a building across the street, automatic gunfire began raining down on them.

“GET DOWN!” shouted a agent, pulling the President down towards the armored limousine waiting in the street.

Police officers, agents, and state troopers in the convoy began to open fire, quickly taking down the gunman in the window.

“MOVE! MOVE MOVE!” The convoy burned some rubber in the lead vehicles as it sped out of the complex, leaving the agents and officers on the scene to secure it.

“The bomb scare was a distraction, Is the VIP hit?”

“This is convoy, the VIP has multiple GSW’s, We’re enroute to hospital…He’s loosing conciousness”.

As the reports came flooding in on the Vekaiyuns and other national armies’ movements in and around Dveria, it would not be too long before the state would be neutralized. Furthermore, as the opposition would be squeezed out, complications may arise as to where each nation’s sphere of influence is located. With that in mind, and with the synergy experienced during this operation, the Vekaiyun Premier realized there may be more here than just a joint venture.

The fact that Hunter was reportedly shot, or in the line of fire nevertheless, complicated the matter. But she did hope that the leader of SHACOG would show. Considerations would need to be arranged for everyone, of course. But it didn’t take long for her to select a venue.

— Begin quote from ____

TO: Leaders of British Grand Pacific, Laiatan, Listonia, and SHACOG

I am messaging all of you in bulk because I wish to set a precedence of equality. I believe the neutralization and eventual removal of Dverian agression performed by our five nations was not a fluke. I believe we share many ideologies and goals. To this end, I wish to convene a conference to address specific issues including, but not limited to, zones of occupation in Dveria, future plans for Dveria, a draft of a potential alliance, and any other issues we wish to discuss.

We will be staying at the Caspa Palace in Kerilo, a larger northern city on the coast. Unlike most Vekaiyun cities, the lands owned by the former Monarch now belong to the Vekaiyun national government and not the city itself. Therefore we will have the security and seclusion we need to discuss sensitive issues. Please get in touch with your Vekaiyun Foreign Officer to arrange any special accomodations. We will do our best to respect all cultures present.

Since the last conference I attended resulted in the death of my Foreign Minister and myself hospitalized for one week, security will be alert at all times. The venue is purposefully being held in Kerilo rather than Calesu or Eldura in order to remain incognito with the various media outlets. I will assign my personal guards to oversee our location.

I ask that you bring a small delegation. We can accomodate large delegations, but for the purpose of the conference, a smaller delegation would be better accomodated and more suited for this venue.

The conference will be conducted in English. I look forward to engaging in discussions with all of you.

Regards,
Ikrisia Levinile
Premier of Vekaiyu

— End quote

Temple Of Alia

Ardeth entered the Temple, and all other priests and priestesses rushed her immediately.

“My Lady, when we heard your homing beacon stopped transmitting, we thought you were dead.”

“I’m not dead, but I wish I was,” she replied. The clergy didn’t know what to say to her after such a traumatic experience so they remained silent. “Tell the God-Emperor that I’m alive, if not well,” she said as she retired to her chamber.

Leto’s Citadel
The Sareer

Malky rushed into the Citadel to deliver the news.

“My Lord! My Lord! Lady Ardeth has reappeared at the Temple Of Alia,” he exclaimed.

Leto sighed, but whether it was with relief or resignation was anyone’s guess. “Recall the First and Second Legion from Tano and Sevropia’s borders, and order the Third Legion, along with Siona at LP/OP Charlie, to withdraw from Rykkovaa via the Loopian Sea’s coast. They are not to go through Toehold territory. Is that clear,” he asked.

“Yes, My Lord,” Malky answered.

Leto thought about how the whole operation was a waste of time and an exercise in futility. He remembered why the Imperium had remained so isolationist until now.

East Tano border

With the Second Legion recalled, Nayla settled back into the monotony. With 10,000 Laiatanese blocking the view on the other side of the border, there wasn’t much to look at anymore.

Press Center, Presidential House, Miffilin, South Hills.

The flash of cameras lit up the room as Deshawn Jenkins, the designated press minister took the podium.

“The President was shot several days ago following a conference in Matthews, Ellis Islands. The shots where not fatal and despite some ‘minor’ injuries including a loss of feelings in boths legs, he is currently enroute to a conference with Vekaiyu, Listonia, British Grand Pacific, and Laiatan.”

The room shot up with hands desperate to get a question in.

“Jerome.”

“How will this affect the President’s ability to perform his duties?”

“Well, he is performing them right now, no? Michelle.”

“Do we have a suspect yet?”

“The shooter was taken down by State Troopers and GPS agents, I’ll have more details at tommorows meeting. That is all” With that, he strutted off the podium and into a back room.